Skip to Content

Can dogs eat raisins?

Quick Answer

No, dogs should not eat raisins or products containing raisins. Raisins and grapes are toxic to dogs and can cause severe illness and even death if ingested. Even small amounts can be dangerous.

What Happens If a Dog Eats Raisins?

Raisins and grapes contain toxins that can cause kidney failure in dogs. After ingesting raisins or grapes, a dog may initially show signs of vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, and lethargy.

Without treatment, they may then develop signs associated with kidney problems including increased thirst, increased urination, and decreased or absent urine production. Ultimately, kidney failure can occur, resulting in death.

The toxic dose varies between dogs. Ingestions of even a small handful of raisins or grapes have resulted in kidney failure.

Why Are Raisins Toxic to Dogs?

The toxins responsible for raisin and grape toxicity in dogs are unknown. However, even small ingestions can result in poisoning.

Dogs of any breed, age, or gender may be affected. There is no safe dose of raisins for dogs. Even just a few raisins or grapes can potentially cause kidney failure.

What Should I Do If My Dog Eats Raisins?

If you suspect your dog has ingested raisins or grapes, contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center immediately. Treatment increases the chances of preventing kidney damage.

Inducing vomiting may be recommended if ingestion was recent to try to remove any remaining pieces before they are digested and absorbed. Hospitalization with IV fluids helps flush toxins out of the kidneys and support kidney function.

Can Dogs Eat Raisin Bread?

No, dogs should not eat foods containing raisins, including raisin bread. The raisins present a toxicity risk, even when baked into breads. Homemade or store-bought raisin bread both pose a hazard.

Can Dogs Eat Oatmeal Raisin Cookies?

No, dogs should avoid oatmeal raisin cookies. Both raisins and grapes are toxic to dogs, so any treats containing them, including oatmeal raisin cookies, pose a poisoning risk. Stick to pet treats made specifically for dogs.

Signs of Raisin or Grape Toxicity

– Vomiting
– Diarrhea
– Lethargy
– Decreased appetite
– Increased thirst
– Increased urination
– Decreased or absent urination
– Bad breath
– Oral ulcers


– Induce vomiting if recent ingestion
– IV fluids
– Kidney function monitoring
– Medications
– Hospitalization


The best way to prevent raisin toxicity is to avoid feeding dogs any products containing grapes or raisins. Check labels of commercial dog foods and treats and do not purchase if they contain grapes, raisins, or grape must. Keep food items containing these ingredients away from your dog.

Foods Containing Raisins to Avoid

Food Reason to Avoid for Dogs
Raisins Primary toxic ingredient
Grapes Closely related toxic fruit
Raisin bread Contains raisins
Oatmeal raisin cookies Contains raisins
Trail mix Often contains raisins
Cereals with raisins Contains raisins
Muffins with raisins Contains raisins
Raisin bagels Contains raisins
Fruitcake Often contains raisins
Grape jelly Product of grapes

Safer Food Alternatives for Dogs

While raisins and grapes should be avoided, there are many other people foods that are safe for dogs in moderation, including:


– Apples
– Bananas
– Blueberries
– Cantaloupe
– Cranberries
– Mango
– Oranges
– Peaches
– Pears
– Pineapple
– Raspberries
– Strawberries
– Watermelon


– Baby carrots
– Bell peppers
– Broccoli
– Brussels sprouts
– Cucumber
– Green beans
– Pumpkin
– Sweet potatoes
– Zucchini


– Rice
– Oatmeal
– Popcorn
– Whole grain pasta


– Chicken
– Turkey
– Lean beef
– Salmon
– Tuna
– Eggs
– Peanut butter


– Yogurt
– Cheese

When introducing any new foods, feed in moderation and watch for signs of gastrointestinal upset. Consult your veterinarian for personalized diet advice.

The Bottom Line

Raisins and grapes, in any form, can be toxic and potentially lethal to dogs. No part of the grape or raisin plant should be fed to dogs. Even small amounts can cause kidney damage.

If your dog accidentally ingests raisins, contact your vet or animal poison control right away for advice. Prompt treatment greatly improves the chances of recovery and prevents permanent kidney damage. To keep your dog safe, check ingredients lists and avoid any products containing grapes or raisins.