Using the right accessories with your Instant Pot can make cooking easier and expand what you can make. The egg bite lid, designed specifically for making egg bites, is one common Instant Pot accessory people wonder about using in other ways. Here’s what you need to know about whether the egg bite lid can be used in an Instant Pot.
What is an Instant Pot Egg Bite Lid?
The Instant Pot egg bite lid is an accessory made to fit 6-qt or 8-qt Instant Pot inner pots. It has silicone muffin-like molds for making egg bites or other baked goods. The lid creates steam inside the Instant Pot to cook the egg bites.
The main features of the egg bite lid include:
- Made from BPA-free plastic and silicone
- Designed to fit 6-qt and 8-qt Instant Pot inner pots
- 7 silicone muffin molds for making egg bites
- Steam vents around molds for even cooking
Using this lid gives you an easy way to make egg bites similar to what you’d get at a coffee shop. You can fill the molds with eggs, vegetables, cheese, meat, or other ingredients, put on the lid, and steam the bites in your Instant Pot.
Can You Use the Egg Bite Lid for Other Things?
While the egg bite lid is designed for making egg bites, you can use it for more than just that in your Instant Pot.
Making Other Bites and Appetizers
The silicone molds are perfect for holding any type of mixture you want to steam. So you can get creative with ingredients like:
- Chopped vegetables and cheese for veggie bites
- Shredded chicken or pork with salsa and spices for tacos bites
- Leftover rice mixed with vegetables and eggs for fried rice bites
- Mashed sweet or white potatoes for twice baked potato bites
The bites cook up with a soft, moist texture from the steaming. The egg bite lid helps contain the food so it cooks up compact.
Making Small Cakes and Desserts
The muffin-shaped molds are also handy for steaming small desserts. Try cooking up:
- Mini fruit cakes or banana bread loaves
- Sweet bread or cinnamon roll bites
- Single-serve molten chocolate lava cakes
- Lemon poppyseed muffins
Steaming gives these small cakes and breads a nice moist consistency. The compact shape also helps them cook evenly throughout. The silicone molds make removing the cooked food easy once done.
You can steam fresh or frozen vegetables in the molds as well. Cut veggies like broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, and green beans into small pieces so they fit. This lets you quickly steam a healthy side to go with any main dish.
The gentle steam from the Instant Pot is ideal for poaching fruit. Place chopped fruit like apples, pears, or plums into the silicone molds with a bit of water or juice. Poached fruit makes a lovely topping for yogurt, oatmeal, or desserts.
Tips for Using the Egg Bite Lid
Here are some useful tips to get the most out of using an egg bite lid:
- Lightly grease the molds before adding your food for easy removal.
- Don’t overfill the molds since food expands during steaming.
- Add water to the inner pot as you normally would when pressure cooking to create steam.
- Allow natural pressure release before opening the lid to prevent food from sticking.
- Let food rest for 5 minutes after cooking before trying to remove from the molds.
Benefits of Using the Egg Bite Lid
There are several advantages to using the egg bite lid in your Instant Pot beyond just making egg bites:
- Versatility – You can use the molds to steam, poach, or bake a variety of foods.
- Portion control – The lid makes a perfect single-serving meal or side dish.
- Convenience – Everything cooks quickly together with no extra dishes to clean up.
- Mess containment – Food stays neatly in the molds instead of floating loosely in the inner pot.
There are a couple possible downsides to using the egg bite lid:
- Food capacity is limited to what fits in the 7 molds.
- Ingredients need to be cut small enough to fit inside the openings.
- Foods may cook slower since steam only reaches what’s in the molds.
However, for most uses, the pros outweigh the cons of cooking with this handy accessory.
While designed for egg bites, the Instant Pot egg bite lid can be used creatively for much more. The silicone molds are great for steaming and baking appetizers, sides, desserts, and more. With some clever ingredients and a bit of experimenting, this lid expands what you can make for dinner in your Instant Pot.