Air frying hamburger buns is a quick and easy way to toast them to perfection. With just a few minutes in an air fryer, you can make hamburger buns that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Keep reading to learn more about air frying hamburger buns!
What is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is a small countertop appliance that uses hot air and convection to cook food. It works by circulating extremely hot air around the food at high speed, essentially frying foods with little to no oil. Air fryers have risen in popularity in recent years as a healthier way to enjoy fried foods.
Benefits of Air Frying
- Uses up to 80% less fat than deep frying
- Food gets crispy with less oil
- Doesn’t heat up kitchen like oven
- Faster than oven
- Easy to use
Why Air Fry Hamburger Buns?
There are several benefits to air frying hamburger buns:
Air frying gives the buns a crispy, golden brown exterior while keeping the interior light and fluffy.
Hamburger buns only take 3-5 minutes to cook in an air fryer, which is much faster than using the oven.
No Butter Needed
The circulating hot air crisps up the buns beautifully without needing to brush them with butter or oil.
You can adjust the air fryer temperature and time to get the texture you prefer.
Choosing Hamburger Buns for Air Frying
Any type of hamburger bun can be air fried, but here are some good options:
Buttery, flaky brioche buns get even crisper in the air fryer.
Sesame Seed Buns
Classically crispy with great texture.
Sturdy and hold up well to air frying.
Get deliciously crispy in the air fryer.
How to Air Fry Hamburger Buns
Air frying hamburger buns is simple:
- Cut hamburger buns in half if they aren’t already sliced.
- Place buns cut side up in air fryer basket.
- Set air fryer temperature to 300°F-350°F.
- Air fry buns for 3-5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Check frequently to avoid over browning.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. Air needs to circulate.
- Spritz with oil for more color if desired.
- Add sesame seeds, garlic powder, etc. before air frying for flavor.
Air Fryer Hamburger Bun Recipe
This simple recipe yields perfect air fried hamburger buns:
- 4 hamburger buns, sliced in half
- 1 tsp olive oil or oil spray (optional)
- Sesame seeds, garlic powder, or other seasonings (optional)
- Cut buns in half if needed and place cut side up in air fryer basket.
- Lightly spritz or brush with oil if desired.
- Sprinkle with any seasonings if desired.
- Set air fryer to 325°F and cook for 4 minutes, until crispy.
- Check frequently to avoid over browning.
- Remove from air fryer and assemble burgers.
What to Serve with Air Fried Buns
Crispy air fried hamburger buns pair deliciously with:
- Juicy grilled hamburgers
- Greek turkey burgers
- Veggie burgers
- Crispy fried chicken
- Pulled pork sandwiches
- Lobster rolls
Storing and Reheating Air Fried Buns
To store air fried buns:
- Let cool completely after air frying.
- Place in a zip top bag or airtight container.
- Store at room temperature up to 2 days.
- For longer storage, refrigerate up to 5 days.
To reheat air fried buns:
- Place in air fryer at 300°F for 1-2 minutes until warmed through.
- Or wrap in foil and bake at 300°F for 5 minutes.
- Microwave 20-30 seconds until soft.
What setting should I use to air fry buns?
Set your air fryer between 300-350°F. Start checking at 3 minutes for doneness.
How long does it take to air fry buns?
Buns take 3-5 minutes to air fry until perfectly crispy.
Can you air fry burger buns from frozen?
Yes, add 1-2 additional minutes to the cook time if starting from frozen.
Do air fried buns get soggy?
Air fried buns will stay crispy longer than regular buns. Store in an airtight container to help maintain crispiness.
Pros and Cons of Air Frying Hamburger Buns
|Quick cooking time||Small batches only|
|Gets buns crispy||Can dry out if overcooked|
|Adds flavor||Needs air fryer appliance|
|Healthier than frying in oil||Still not as healthy as plain|
Air frying is an easy way to quickly cook hamburger buns that are crispy outside and soft inside. The circulating hot air crisps up the buns beautifully in just 3-5 minutes. Any type of bun works well and you can customize with oil, seasonings, etc. Store air fried buns properly to maintain crispiness. Air fried buns make tasty vessels for all kinds of burgers, sandwiches, and more.