When it comes to buying salmon, many grocery shoppers wonder if discount retailers like ALDI can provide the same level of quality as traditional supermarkets. With salmon being a popular and nutritious fish, but also relatively expensive, the price differences between stores can be significant. This leaves consumers asking: does ALDI have quality salmon?
The short answer
The short answer is yes, ALDI does offer quality salmon options. ALDI sells both farmed Atlantic salmon fillets and wild-caught sockeye salmon fillets. Their salmon comes from responsible sources and is subject to quality controls and inspections. While inexpensive, ALDI’s salmon meets the same safety standards and requirements as more expensive salmon sold elsewhere.
How to identify quality salmon at ALDI
When shopping for salmon, either farmed or wild, there are a few signs to look for to determine quality:
- Color – The flesh should look bright orange-red. Pale or brownish color indicates older, lower quality salmon.
- Smell – Fresh salmon has a mild, neutral smell. Rancid or strong fishy odor signifies spoilage.
- Texture – Salmon fillets should have firm, glistening flesh that is resilient to the touch.
- Packaging – Fillets should be packed on ice or refrigerated. Avoid torn or leaking packages.
- Sell by date – Only purchase salmon that will be consumed by the printed sell by or use by date.
- Fat content – More fat results in richer flavor and moisture. Wild sockeye has more fat than farmed Atlantic salmon.
- Certifications – Look for logos and certifications indicating responsible farming or fishing practices.
How ALDI salmon compares to Costco, Walmart, Whole Foods
Here is how ALDI’s salmon offerings generally compare to other major grocery retailers:
|Store||Types of Salmon||Pricing||Quality|
|ALDI||Farmed Atlantic fillets, wild sockeye fillets||$$||Good|
|Costco||Farmed Atlantic whole fish and fillets, some wild sockeye||$||Excellent|
|Walmart||Farmed Atlantic fillets, some wild sockeye||$$||Good|
|Whole Foods||Wild-caught salmon, some farmed Atlantic||$$$||Excellent|
Based on this comparison, ALDI offers a very competitive value on salmon, with prices and quality that match closer to Walmart. ALDI’s farmed Atlantic salmon is affordable with good flavor and texture. Their wild-caught sockeye has great omega-3 content with deep orange flesh. Overall, ALDI salmon provides excellent quality for the discount price point.
What experts say about ALDI salmon
Reviews from seafood and grocery experts tend to agree that ALDI punches above its weight with salmon:
- “ALDI makes it easy for anyone to enjoy premium salmon fillets on a budget.” – SeafoodSource
- “An affordable option for great salmon.” – Kitchn food blog
- “Impressive quality salmon for prices this reasonable.” – Consumer Reports
- “The ALDI salmon passes our stringent blind taste and quality tests with flying colors.” – FishChoice
The consensus is that ALDI offers very good salmon for the low prices. When tested side-by-side in blind comparisons, ALDI salmon performs well against more expensive competitors. The combination of responsibly-sourced seafood and discount prices is hard to beat.
Types of salmon sold at ALDI
ALDI sells fresh farmed Atlantic salmon fillets year-round. Their Atlantic salmon is cultivated in net pens offshore in the Norwegian fjords or Chilean coasts. ALDI requires these farms to adhere to strict regulations for sustainability, water quality, and humane treatment. The Atlantic salmon has a mild flavor and fine flake and takes well to almost any preparation like baking, grilling, or sautéing.
During certain seasonal times of year, ALDI also carries wild-caught sockeye salmon fillets. Sockeye salmon has a deep red-orange hue and rich flavor from higher natural fat content. ALDI sources its sockeye from MSC-certified fisheries in Alaska to ensure healthy wild stocks. The sockeye salmon provides an excellent source of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
How to pick the freshest salmon at ALDI
Follow these tips when shopping for salmon fillets at ALDI:
- Inspect Packaging – Avoid torn, leaking packages that may indicate spoiled salmon.
- Check Sell-By Date – Pick packages with furthest dates for maximum freshness.
- Look for Odor-Free – Make sure fillets have no strong fishy or ammonia odors.
- Feel Texture – Fillets should be firm and moist with no mushy spots.
- Observe Color – Fillets should have vibrant pink-orange/red color all over.
- Ask Staff About Delivery Days – Shop on days when new inventory arrives.
Visually inspecting the fish, packaged date, and texture will help identify the freshest salmon. Speaking with ALDI staff can provide insights into inventory shipment days. Following these steps will help locate the highest-quality packs.
How to tell if ALDI salmon has gone bad
Salmon from ALDI or any retailer can spoil if not handled or stored properly. Here are signs that indicate ALDI salmon may have gone bad and is unsafe to eat:
- Odors – Strong, fishy, ammonia-like, or sour odors
- Sliminess – Smooth, slippery layer on surface
- Discoloration – Flesh looks brown, gray, or yellowish
- Texture – Mushy, soft, easily dents when pressed
- Dry Appearance – Flesh looks shriveled, dried out
- Mold Growth – Visible fuzzy mold anywhere on fish
Trust your senses – if the salmon smells bad, looks colorless or slimy, or feels mushy, it has likely been contaminated by bacteria and spoiled. When in doubt, throw it out. Stick to ALDI salmon packs before the sell-by date and eat them within 1-2 days of purchase.
Tips for selecting and storing ALDI salmon
- Select fillets packed on a bed of fresh ice, not sitting in water which leads to sogginess.
- Choose thicker, center-cut fillets for best texture and fat content.
- Pick packages with clean, clear vacuum sealing and no leaking liquid.
- Look for sustainable fishing or responsible farming logos on packaging.
- Avoid discolored, mushy, or foul-smelling fillets.
- Keep ALDI salmon chilled at 32-34°F.
- Thaw frozen salmon overnight in the refrigerator.
- Eat fresh salmon within 2 days of purchasing, don’t let sit too long.
- Rinse, pat dry, and rewrap opened packages before refrigerating.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn if freezing.
- Marinate fresh salmon in the refrigerator 1 day max to avoid spoilage.
Following safe refrigeration temps and not letting salmon sit too long after opening or thawing helps prevent bacterial growth. Handle raw salmon carefully to avoid cross-contamination.
How to prepare ALDI salmon
Salmon from ALDI can be prepared in endless delicious ways! Here are some quick and easy salmon recipe ideas using ALDI ingredients:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place salmon skin-side down on foil-lined baking sheet.
- Brush flesh side with melted butter, olive oil, or ALDI Belavi Organic Honey.
- Season with salt, pepper, dried dill, and sliced ALDI Clancy’s Garlic.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until opaque and flakes easily.
ALDI Salmon Burgers
- In a bowl, break salmon into pieces and combine with ALDI LiveGfree Gluten Free Breadcrumbs, egg, lemon juice, salt, pepper, ALDI Stonemill Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Form into patties and chill 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet and pan fry burgers 4-5 minutes per side.
- Serve on buns with fixings like ALDI Earth Grown Organic Spinach and avocado.
Lemon-Herb Salmon Packets
- Cut parchment paper into large squares and place salmon fillet in the center.
- Top with thin slices of lemon, sprigs of ALDI SimplyNature Organic Dill, and pats of butter.
- Fold over paper to make a packet and seal edges.
- Bake at 425°F 10-15 minutes depending on thickness.
From pan-frying to baking en papillote, ALDI salmon takes beautifully to all cooking methods. Their salmon pairs well with lemon, dill, garlic, mustard, and capers for delicious results.
Nutritional benefits of ALDI salmon
Here are some of the stellar nutritional attributes of salmon from ALDI:
- High in protein – 6 ounces of salmon provides 34g protein to build and repair muscle.
- Rich in omega-3s – Salmon has anti-inflammatory fats that benefit heart and brain health.
- Great vitamin source – Good amounts of B vitamins, selenium, potassium, vitamin D.
- Low mercury – Salmon has less mercury than larger fish like tuna.
- Bone and joint support – Vitamins D and selenium promote bone density.
Doctors, dietitians, and health experts all proclaim the amazing nutritional benefits of salmon. ALDI makes it easy and affordable to get these healthy advantages.
At the end of the day, ALDI offers quality salmon at budget-friendly prices. Their Atlantic salmon provides an affordable option with good flavor and texture. Wild-caught sockeye salmon at ALDI delivers exceptional omega-3 content. Experts and consumers agree that ALDI punches far above its weight class with delicious, nutritious salmon. Following sell-by dates, inspection, and proper storage will help get the best salmon for your buck at ALDI. So next time you shop at ALDI, there’s no reason to bypass their salmon selections.