Yes, Costco does sell turkey tenderloin. Turkey tenderloin is a popular product that Costco offers, especially around the holidays when people are looking to cook turkey meals.
What is Turkey Tenderloin?
Turkey tenderloin is a cut of meat from the turkey breast. It is long and cylindrical in shape. Turkey tenderloin is sometimes called turkey fillet. It is an incredibly lean and tender cut of turkey.
Turkey tenderloin is very low in fat and high in protein. A 3 ounce serving contains around 25 grams of protein and only 1 gram of fat. It is a healthy and delicious option.
The mild flavor of turkey tenderloin makes it very versatile to cook with. It can be prepared in many different ways such as roasting, grilling, sautéing, baking, and more. It also absorbs marinades and spices very well.
Benefits of Turkey Tenderloin
There are many benefits to eating turkey tenderloin:
- High in protein – Turkey tenderloin is a great source of lean protein. Protein helps build muscle mass and is important for recovery after exercise.
- Low in fat and calories – With minimal fat and around 120 calories in a 3 ounce serving, turkey tenderloin fits into a healthy diet.
- Rich in B vitamins – Turkey contains thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12. These B vitamins help with energy and brain health.
- Contains selenium – Turkey is a good source of the antioxidant mineral selenium which supports a healthy immune system.
- Versatile – Turkey tenderloin is mild in flavor and can be used in everything from sandwiches to salads to main dishes.
Pricing of Turkey Tenderloin at Costco
Costco sells fresh and frozen turkey tenderloin options. Here are some typical pricing details on turkey tenderloin at Costco:
|Kirkland Signature Fresh Turkey Tenderloin||2 lbs||$8.99|
|Foster Farms Frozen Turkey Tenderloin||2.5 lbs||$13.99|
|Fresh Turkey Tenderloin Twin-Pack||4 lbs total (2 lbs each)||$16.99|
The price of turkey tenderloin at Costco ranges from $4.49/lb for fresh to around $5.59/lb for frozen. This is very competitively priced compared to other grocery stores.
How to Cook Turkey Tenderloin
Turkey tenderloin is delicious and easy to cook. Here are some cooking ideas:
Roasted Turkey Tenderloin
Roasting turkey tenderloin whole and slicing it is a classic preparation. Rub the tenderloin with olive oil and seasonings. Roast at 400°F for 30-45 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Let rest before slicing.
Grilled Turkey Tenderloin
Grilling turkey tenderloin is fast and gives great flavor from the grill. Coat the tenderloin in barbecue rub or sauce and grill over medium-high heat for 4-6 minutes per side. Baste with more sauce at the end.
Sautéed Turkey Tenderloin Medallions
Cut the tenderloin into 1-inch thick rounds to make medallions. Sauté the medallions in a pan over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes per side until browned. Make a pan sauce to serve over the top.
Baked Turkey Tenderloin Parmesan
Coat turkey tenderloin with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Top with breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes until cooked through and cheese is melted.
Turkey Tenderloin Stir Fry
Slice turkey tenderloin thinly across the grain. Stir fry with sliced veggies like bell peppers, onions, broccoli, and carrots. Add teriyaki or stir fry sauce.
Healthy Turkey Tenderloin Recipes
Turkey tenderloin is very versatile for making healthy recipes. Here are some delicious and good-for-you recipe ideas:
Lemon Garlic Turkey Tenderloin
Rub down the tenderloin with garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast and serve with lemon wedges.
Turkey Tenderloin with Tomatoes and Spinach
Sauté turkey medallions, cherry tomatoes, and baby spinach in olive oil. Season with Italian herbs.
Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Stir fry cubed turkey tenderloin with carrots, water chestnuts, soy sauce and hoisin. Serve in lettuce leaves.
Turkey Tenderloin Salad
Thinly slice roasted turkey tenderloin. Toss with mixed greens, dried cranberries, feta, and balsamic vinaigrette.
BBQ Turkey Tenderloin Sandwich
Grill seasoned turkey tenderloin, slice, and place on whole wheat buns with bbq sauce and caramelized onions.
Is Turkey Tenderloin Healthy?
Yes, turkey tenderloin is very healthy:
- High in protein – Protein is important for building muscle, satisfying hunger, and overall health.
- Low in fat and calories – Turkey tenderloin fits into a healthy diet for weight management.
- Provides B vitamins – These vitamins help convert food into energy and promote healthy nerves and brain function.
- Contains selenium – This mineral boosts immunity and acts as an antioxidant to fight cell damage.
Turkey tenderloin is a lean, nutrient-dense meat that offers top nutrition in a low-fat package. It has high protein with minimal fat and little to no carbohydrates. Overall, turkey tenderloin is an excellent healthy and delicious protein choice.
Is Turkey Tenderloin Gluten-Free?
Yes, plain turkey tenderloin with no added ingredients is gluten-free. Turkey meat does not naturally contain any gluten. This makes turkey tenderloin a good option for people following a gluten-free diet.
However, some packaged turkey tenderloin products may contain small amounts of gluten due to flavorings, marinades or breadcrumbs added during processing. It is important to check the label for gluten-containing ingredients if following a strict gluten-free diet.
Some people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity can tolerate small amounts of cross-contamination. But for those who are highly sensitive, look for turkey tenderloin labeled as gluten-free to ensure it was processed safely.
How to Select Fresh Turkey Tenderloin
Here are some tips for selecting fresh turkey tenderloin:
- Look for a tenderloin that is uniformly white/pale pink with no dark spots.
- Choose a tenderloin that feels firm to the touch and does not have any mushy spots.
- Make sure the packaging is not torn and there are no leaks – this could indicate improper handling.
- Check the sell-by or use-by date and select the product with the latest date.
- If buying frozen, look for turkey tenderloin with no ice crystals or frost buildup which may indicate it has been thawed and refrozen.
Also smell the turkey tenderloin before purchasing. It should have a very mild odor. A strong or unpleasant smell means the turkey is spoiled.
How to Store Turkey Tenderloin
Proper storage preserves freshness and prevents bacterial growth on turkey tenderloin. Follow these storage tips:
- Fresh – Refrigerate fresh turkey tenderloin in original packaging up to 2 days. Re-wrap in plastic wrap or foil for 1-2 additional days. Freeze for longer storage.
- Frozen – Keep frozen turkey tenderloin wrapped tightly without openings where freezer burn can occur. Store in freezer up to 9 months.
- Cooked – Refrigerate cooked turkey tenderloin for 3-4 days. Slice or shred before storing to allow quicker cooling. Can also be frozen.
How Long Does Turkey Tenderloin Last?
Here is how long turkey tenderloin lasts in the refrigerator and freezer:
|Turkey Tenderloin Type||Refrigerator||Freezer|
|Fresh, raw||2-3 days||9 months|
|Thawed, raw||1-2 days||Do not refreeze|
|Cooked||3-4 days||2-3 months|
For maximum freshness and quality, cook or freeze fresh turkey tenderloin within 2 days of purchasing.
In summary, Costco does sell turkey tenderloin, both fresh and frozen. Turkey tenderloin is a healthy, lean cut of meat from the turkey breast that is high in protein. At Costco, turkey tenderloin tends to cost around $5/lb. It’s easy to cook turkey tenderloin by roasting, grilling, sautéing or baking. There are endless healthy and delicious recipes to make with turkey tenderloin. Overall, turkey tenderloin is a nutritious protein choice worth grabbing on your next trip to Costco.