A 32 ounce quiche is a fairly large quiche. To understand just how big a 32 oz quiche is, it helps to first understand what a quiche is and how it is typically sized.
What is a Quiche?
A quiche is an open faced pastry crust filled with savory custard and various other ingredients like meat, seafood, vegetables, and cheese. The custard is made with eggs and milk or cream. It has a texture similar to a savory pie or tart.
Quiche originated in France and became popular in America in the 1960s and 70s. It is commonly served as an appetizer or main course and can be enjoyed hot or cold.
Typical Quiche Sizes
Quiche is sold in a variety of sizes, most commonly:
- 4 inches – serves 1-2 people
- 6 inches – serves 4-6 people
- 9 inches – serves 6-8 people
- 10 inches – serves 8-10 people
The most standard quiche pan sizes are 9 inches and 10 inches. Here are the typical dimensions for different quiche sizes:
|4 inches||4 inches|
|6 inches||6 inches|
|9 inches||9 inches|
|10 inches||10 inches|
How Big is a 32 Ounce Quiche?
Now that we understand how quiche is sized, we can determine how big a 32 ounce quiche would be. Here’s a breakdown:
- 1 ounce of quiche filling/batter is approximately 1/4 cup.
- There are 16 ounces in 1 pound.
- So 32 ounces is 2 pounds of quiche batter.
- 2 pounds of quiche batter is approximately 8 cups.
- Most quiche recipes call for 2-3 eggs per cup of milk/cream. So let’s estimate this quiche uses 16 eggs (2 eggs per cup x 8 cups).
Based on typical quiche sizes, a 32 oz quiche would likely be around a 10-12 inch quiche. Here is an estimate breakdown:
|Quiche Size||Batter Amount||Serves|
|9 inches||4-6 cups||6-8 people|
|10 inches||6-8 cups||8-10 people|
|32 oz (2 lbs)||8 cups||12-16 people|
As you can see, a 32 oz quiche made with 8 cups of batter would be extra large, likely around 10-12 inches wide and would serve 12-16 people.
Sample 32 Ounce Quiche Recipe
To give you an idea of what a recipe for a 32 ounce quiche might look like, here is an example:
- 2 lbs quiche filling (32 oz)
- 2 pre-made deep dish pie crusts (for bottom and top)
- 16 eggs
- 8 cups milk or cream
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1 cup sautéed mushrooms
- 1 onion, diced
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Press one pie crust into a 10-12 inch deep dish pie pan. Crimp edges.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk/cream, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Stir in Swiss cheese, ham, mushrooms and onion.
- Pour egg mixture into prepared pie crust.
- Cover with second pie crust and crimp edges to seal.
- Cut a few slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes until quiche is set.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
This oversized quiche with a 10-12 inch diameter pie pan would serve 12-16 people easily!
In summary, a 32 ounce quiche is very large, equivalent to 2 pounds or 8 cups of quiche filling. It would be made in an extra-large 10-12 inch pie pan and serve around 12-16 people. The ingredients would include around 16 eggs and 8 cups of dairy. While not a common everyday quiche size, a 32 ounce quiche is perfect for feeding a crowd at large gatherings or parties. Using a couple pie crusts and standard quiche ingredients, you can easily bake up this oversized appetizing entrée.