Pork tenderloin is a quick cooking and lean cut of meat that is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. Hormel’s always tender pork tenderloin is pre-seasoned to enhance flavor and tenderness, making it easy to cook a delicious pork tenderloin meal at home. There are a few key things to know when cooking Hormel always tender pork tenderloin to ensure it turns out juicy and delicious every time.
What is pork tenderloin?
Pork tenderloin is a cylindrical cut of meat that comes from the loin section of the pig. It is extra tender because it contains less connective tissue than other cuts of pork. The tenderloin runs along either side of the spine so there are usually two tenderloins per pig. Pork tenderloin is very lean, with barely any fat marbling through the meat. This makes it perfect for quick cooking methods like grilling, broiling, sautéing, or roasting.
Key benefits of Hormel always tender pork tenderloin
Hormel always tender pork tenderloin provides several benefits:
- Pre-seasoned – Hormel always tender pork tenderloins come pre-marinated and seasoned to enhance flavor and juiciness. The tenderloins are marinated in a blend of salt, sugar, rosemary extract, and other natural flavors.
- Tender and juicy – The combination of pre-marination and quick cooking helps keep Hormel pork tenderloin exceptionally moist and tender.
- Lean and nutritious – Pork tenderloin is very lean, with only 2.5g fat and 120 calories per 4 oz serving. It is an excellent source of protein, vitamins, and minerals.
- Easy and fast cooking – Pork tenderloin cooks very quickly, making it perfect for busy weeknight meals. It can be cooked in under 30 minutes.
- Versatile – Cooked pork tenderloin is extremely versatile. It can be sliced and used in sandwiches, tacos, stir fries, salads, and more.
How big are Hormel pork tenderloins?
Hormel always tender pork tenderloins come in a few different sizes:
- 1 lb tenderloin – This is a single pork tenderloin that weighs approximately 1 pound.
- 2 lb tenderloin – This option contains two 1 lb pork tenderloins packaged together, totaling 2 pounds.
- Jumbo 2.5-3 lb tenderloin – This extra large tenderloin weighs between 2.5-3 pounds.
The size you choose depends on the number of people you need to serve. In general, 3-4 oz of cooked pork tenderloin is a typical serving size. Here is a guide:
- 1 lb tenderloin – Feeds 2-3 people
- 2 lb tenderloin – Feeds 4-6 people
- Jumbo 2.5-3 lb tenderloin – Feeds 6-8 people
Instructions for Cooking Hormel Pork Tenderloin
Follow these simple steps for perfectly cooked Hormel always tender pork tenderloin.
1. Remove packaging and pat dry
Remove the pork tenderloin from the packaging and pat it completely dry with paper towels. Make sure to pat both sides thoroughly. The drier the surface, the better it will brown.
2. Season with salt, pepper and any additional herbs or spices (optional)
Hormel pork tenderloins already come pre-seasoned, but you can add a bit more seasoning if desired. Generously season all over with salt and pepper. You can also use any other dried herbs or spices that pair well with pork, like garlic powder, oregano, thyme, or rosemary.
3. Preheat oven and prepare roasting pan
Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan with foil and lightly grease with oil or cooking spray. The foil helps for easy cleanup.
4. Sear pork tenderloin on the stovetop (optional)
For extra browning and flavor, you can quickly sear the tenderloin before roasting. Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tsp oil or butter. When hot, add pork tenderloin and sear on all sides until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes per side.
5. Roast in preheated oven
Place seared or raw pork tenderloin on the prepared baking pan. Roast in preheated 400°F oven until the internal temperature reaches 145°F, 15-25 minutes depending on size. Hormel always tender pork tenderloins often cook faster than plain pork tenderloin since they are pre-marinated.
6. Allow to rest before slicing
Once cooked, remove pork from oven and allow to rest tented loosely with foil for 5-10 minutes. This resting time allows the juices to redistribute through the meat before slicing.
7. Slice and serve
After resting, slice the tenderloin into medallions about 1/2 inch thick. Serve warm with your choice of side dishes and sauces. Delicious choices include mashed potatoes, roasted veggies, salad, chimichurri sauce, or a quick pan sauce made with the drippings.
Tips for the Best Results
Use these tips for cooking the most flavorful, tender pork tenderloin.
- Pat dry before cooking – Make sure to thoroughly pat dry the exterior of the pork before cooking for optimal browning.
- Use a meat thermometer – Cook to 145°F internal temperature, then allow to rest before serving.
- Avoid overcooking – Pork dries out quickly when overcooked. Time it carefully and use a meat thermometer.
- Sear for flavor – Browning the exterior adds flavor and texture. Quickly sear before roasting.
- Let it rest – Never slice just out of the oven. Letting it rest allows juices to redistribute.
- Slice against the grain – Slicing against the grain of the meat keeps pork tenderloin extra tender.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some common questions about cooking Hormel always tender pork tenderloin:
Is pork tenderloin the same as pork loin?
No, pork tenderloin and pork loin are two different cuts of meat from the pig:
- Pork tenderloin – Comes from the loin primal cut and is extremely tender.
- Pork loin – Comes from the rib primal cut, contains more connective tissue.
Pork tenderloin is much more tender and cooks faster than pork loin.
Can you grill pork tenderloin?
Yes, pork tenderloin grills up beautifully! Make sure grill grates are clean and heated to medium high heat. Grill tenderloin for 6-8 minutes per side until145°F internal temperature. The sugar in the Hormel marinade may cause some charring on the grill, so watch carefully.
Can you cook pork tenderloin from frozen?
Yes, Hormel pork tenderloin can be cooked directly from frozen using your thawed cooking times as a guide. Add 5-10 extra minutes to compensate for frozen start. Always rely on a meat thermometer for doneness, not just time.
What are good side dishes for pork tenderloin?
Some delicious sides for pork tenderloin include:
- Roasted potatoes or root vegetables
- Rice pilaf or risotto
- Green salad or roasted broccoli
- Quick pan sauce made with the drippings
The opportunities are endless! Choose your family’s favorites.
Can you marinate pork tenderloin?
Hormel pork tenderloins already come pre-marinated for added flavor, tenderness and juiciness. You can marinate them further if desired, but it is not required. If marinating, do so for 30 minutes up to 4 hours for best results.
How long does pork tenderloin last in the fridge?
Raw pork tenderloin will keep 3-5 days in the refrigerator. Cooked pork tenderloin lasts 3-4 days refrigerated. Make sure to tightly wrap to prevent freezer burn.
Hormel always tender pork tenderloin delivers exceptionally moist, flavorful and tender results every time. Follow the quick cooking instructions for roasting and use a meat thermometer for perfect doneness. Slice and serve this lean and nutritious pork with your favorite sides for a quick and easy dinner any night of the week. Pre-marinated pork tenderloin makes it simpler than ever to get a delicious homemade meal on the table that your whole family will love.