What is fat washing?
Fat washing is a technique used to infuse spirits with the flavors from fatty ingredients like butter, cream, or oils. The process involves combining the spirit with a fat or oil, allowing them to mingle together for a period of time, and then separating the infused spirit from the fat. The result is a spirit that has subtle flavors and aromas from the fat or oil used.
Fat washing works because alcohol is able to extract and dissolve the flavor compounds from fats and oils. When the infused alcohol is chilled and strained, the pure fats solidify and can be easily separated, leaving just the fat-washed spirit behind. This imparts a creamy, silky mouthfeel and rounded flavors to the spirit.
Why fat wash whiskey with peanut butter?
Peanut butter is a perfect fat to use when fat washing whiskey. Here’s why:
- Peanut butter has a rich, nutty, roasted flavor that complements the caramel, vanilla, and oak notes in whiskey.
- The high oil content of peanut butter allows plenty of flavor compounds to be extracted into the whiskey.
- Peanut butter introduces subtle peanut and roasted flavors that balance out the alcohol bite of whiskey.
- Fat washing with peanut butter gives the whiskey a smooth, creamy mouthfeel.
- Peanut butter fat-washed whiskey makes an excellent base for cocktails or just sipping neat.
How to fat wash whiskey with peanut butter
Fat washing whiskey with peanut butter is a relatively straightforward process but does require some specific steps. Here is an overview of how to fat wash whiskey at home:
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 liter bourbon, rye whiskey or Scotch
- 2 quart Mason jar or other nonreactive container
- Fine mesh strainer
- Resealable bottles for storing fat-washed whiskey
- Add the peanut butter to the Mason jar or container.
- Slowly pour in the whiskey while stirring constantly with a spoon to emulsify.
- Seal the jar and leave to infuse, shaking periodically, for anywhere from 2 hours to 24 hours.
- Place the jar in freezer for several hours until the peanut butter solidifies.
- Line a funnel with cheesecloth and slowly pour the chilled infusion through to strain out the solid fats.
- Discard the peanut butter solids.
- Pour the infused whiskey into clean bottles and store in freezer to preserve the flavor.
- Use the fat-washed whiskey in cocktails or enjoy it neat.
- Use natural peanut butter without added oils or emulsifiers.
- The longer the infusion time, the more intense the peanut flavor will be.
- Add a tablespoon of water to help emulsify the peanut butter and whiskey.
- For a smoother infusion, blend the peanut butter before adding whiskey.
- If needed, strain through a coffee filter for clearer results.
What flavors result from fat washing whiskey with peanut butter?
Fat washing bourbon, rye or Scotch whisky with peanut butter imparts some wonderful complex flavors. Here’s what to expect:
- Roasted peanut – Distinct natural roasted peanut flavors come through.
- Nutty – Strong nutty notes complement the vanilla and caramel whiskey flavors.
- Buttery – A rich, creamy butteriness rounds out the mouthfeel.
- Slight saltiness – Hints of salt balance the sweetness.
- Vanilla and oak – The whiskey’s inherent vanilla and oak flavors are intensified.
The result is a whiskey with added layers of nuttiness and a creamy rounded texture, while still tasting clearly like whiskey.
Cocktail recipes using peanut butter fat-washed whiskey
Peanut butter fat-washed whiskey adds a delicious twist to many classic cocktails. Here are some recipes to try:
Peanut Old Fashioned
- 2 oz peanut butter-washed bourbon
- 1 sugar cube
- 2-3 dashes Angostura bitters
- Garnish: Orange peel and cocktail cherry
– Place sugar cube in glass and soak with bitters.
– Add a splash of water and muddle.
– Fill glass with ice cubes and add fat-washed bourbon.
– Garnish with orange peel and cherry.
- 1.5 oz peanut butter-washed bourbon
- 2 oz cream
- 0.5 oz banana liqueur
– Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
– Shake vigorously until chilled.
– Strain into a cocktail glass.
Peanut Butter Cup Martini
- 2 oz peanut butter-washed vodka
- 0.75 oz chocolate liqueur
- 0.5 oz crème de cacao
– Add ingredients to a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
– Shake vigorously until chilled.
– Rim glass with chocolate syrup then sugar or cocoa powder.
– Strain into prepared glass.
Other ways to use peanut butter fat-washed whiskey
Aside from cocktails, there are plenty of delicious ways to use peanut butter fat-washed whiskey:
- Enjoy it neat or on the rocks as an after dinner sipper.
- Use to make boozy peanut butter milkshakes or smoothies.
- Flambé bananas Foster with the fat-washed whiskey.
- Make peanut butter fudge or other candies with the infused whiskey.
- Use to make grown-up peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
- Add to hot chocolate for an indulgent winter drink.
- Stir into coffee cocktails instead of using plain whiskey.
- Brush on meats while grilling or roasting for amazing flavor.
Let your creativity run wild with the possibilities of peanut butter whiskey!
Fat washing whiskey with peanut butter is an ingenious technique that results in a wonderfully flavored spirit. The rich, nutty peanut notes pair perfectly with bourbon, rye, and Scotch whiskies. While the process does take some time and effort, the results are well worth it. Be sure to use high quality, smooth peanut butter and give the ingredients enough time to properly infuse. Fat washed peanut butter whiskey adds incredible depth, aroma, and velvety texture to any cocktail or just sipping on its own. This is one infusion liqueur that both whiskey and peanut butter lovers need to try.