Simply Potatoes are a convenient and tasty side dish that can be prepared in just a few minutes. However, heating them up properly is important to get the best texture and flavor. This article will provide tips on the best way to heat up Simply Potatoes in the microwave or oven for optimal results.
What are Simply Potatoes?
Simply Potatoes are packaged shredded or diced potatoes that have been precooked and frozen. The potatoes are partially cooked so they just need to be quickly heated through to finish cooking. Simply Potatoes come in a few varieties including:
- Sliced potatoes – thin cut potato slices
- Diced potatoes – cubed potato pieces
- Shredded potatoes – grated shreds of potato
- Roasted potatoes – cubes roasted with olive oil
- Mashed potatoes – creamy mashed potatoes
The most common varieties are the sliced, diced, and shredded potatoes. They provide a quick cooking starchy side dish to pair with any meal. The potatoes are real potato pieces, not a powdered mix, so they have an authentic potato flavor.
The simplest way to heat up Simply Potatoes is in the microwave. Here are some tips for microwave cooking:
- No need to thaw – you can microwave them directly from frozen.
- Use a microwave-safe dish and do not cover.
- Microwave on HIGH power for best results.
- Microwave in 1 minute intervals, stirring between each interval, until heated through.
- Cooking time depends on amount – see chart below for guidelines.
|1 cup||2-3 minutes|
|2 cups||3-4 minutes|
|3 cups||4-5 minutes|
For best results, stir halfway through and continue microwaving until potatoes are hot and steaming. Be careful not to overcook them – potatoes should be just heated through and still retain some firmness.
Baking Simply Potatoes in the oven takes a bit more time but can result in a nicer texture. Follow these recommendations:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place potatoes in a baking dish coated with cooking spray or oil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring halfway, until hot and lightly browned.
- For crisper potatoes, coat with a little oil or butter before baking.
- Season with salt, pepper, or other spices near the end of baking.
The oven's dry heat will help evaporate moisture from the potatoes and lightly brown the outsides. Stirring halfway through ensures even cooking. Fresh herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, or a spice blend can add flavor. Bake just until heated through and starting to brown for the best texture.
Serving and Seasoning Tips
Simply Potatoes are very versatile – they pair well with almost anything! Here are some serving ideas and seasoning suggestions:
- Top with melted butter, cheese, bacon, or sour cream.
- Season with garlic, rosemary, thyme, dill, or a spice blend.
- Toss with buffalo sauce for spicy buffalo potatoes.
- Add caramelized onions or roasted vegetables.
- Mix with cooked sausage or diced ham.
- Serve as a side for steak, chicken, pork chops, or burgers.
- Use in a breakfast hash with eggs and meat.
Get creative with mix-ins and seasonings! The potato flavor pairs well with meats, herbs, cheeses, and vegetables.
Properly storing Simply Potatoes will help maintain quality. Follow these storage tips:
- Keep frozen until ready to use.
- Do not thaw before reheating.
- Once opened, reseal package and return to freezer promptly.
- Use within 2-3 months for best quality and texture.
- Do not refreeze potatoes once thawed.
With proper frozen storage, Simply Potatoes can last for months in the freezer. But once thawed, they should be eaten within 3-5 days and not refrozen for best results. The potatoes will develop an increasingly mushy texture if thawed and refrozen multiple times.
Heating Simply Potatoes is quick and easy whether you microwave or bake them. Allowing time for the potatoes to heat through completely results in the best texture. Seasoning them while hot also helps the flavors absorb. Follow the simple instructions for microwave, oven, or stovetop cooking for delicious heated Simply Potatoes every time. They can be a perfect side for any meal!