Making a delicious cheese bread pull apart with store bought rolls from Costco is easy and perfect for any party or get together. The pull apart is made by slicing store bought rolls, filling with cheese, and baking until the cheese melts. This is a crowd pleasing appetizer that can be customized in many ways.
What you need
- 1 package of Costco rolls (either dinner rolls or mini rolls)
- 8 oz shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, or a blend work well)
- 3-4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2-3 tablespoons dried parsley or Italian seasoning blend
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Open the package of rolls and slice each roll horizontally. You want to slice them almost all the way through but leave the bottom attached so you can pull them apart later.
- Place the sliced rolls in the prepared baking dish. Pour the melted butter over the rolls and use your hands or a brush to evenly coat the tops of each roll slice.
- Sprinkle the parsley or Italian seasoning evenly over the rolls.
- Fill each crevice between the roll slices with shredded cheese, pressing it down gently to pack it in. Make sure you get cheese into every slice.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for 10 more minutes until the cheese is fully melted and the rolls are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes before pulling apart and serving.
- Use any type of roll – dinner rolls, slider buns, or mini rolls work great. Just adjust baking time if using mini rolls.
- Get creative with the cheese – try different varieties or blends.
- Add herbs, garlic powder, or other seasonings to the melted butter before brushing on the rolls.
- Top with crispy bacon pieces, sliced pepperoni, or marinara sauce before serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of rolls work best?
Dinner rolls, slider buns, Hawaiian rolls, and mini rolls all work well for this recipe. The most important thing is that the rolls hold up well and don’t get mushy when baked. Sturdier rolls like Costco dinner rolls are a great choice.
What kind of cheese should I use?
Shredded cheddar, mozzarella, colby jack, provolone, or a blend of these cheeses are all tasty options. Go with your personal preference!
How do I keep the pull apart from drying out?
Be sure to tightly cover the pan with foil when baking to lock in moisture. Also let the pull apart rest 5 minutes before serving so the cheese can set up and the rolls absorb any excess moisture.
Can I assemble this ahead of time?
You can assemble the entire pull apart up to 8 hours before baking. Keep it covered and refrigerated until ready to bake. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
How can I customize this recipe?
There are endless possibilities for customizing! Here are some ideas:
- Use garlic butter instead of plain melted butter
- Season the butter with Italian seasoning, rosemary, thyme etc.
- Add cooked bacon, pepperoni, ham etc between the rolls
- Mix cheeses, like cheddar with parmesan
- Brush with melted butter again before serving
- Dip in marinara sauce or ranch dressing
The pull apart bread is best fresh but will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat leftover pieces in the microwave or oven until warm and crispy again. The rolls also freeze well for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature and reheat before serving.
This Costco cheese bread pull apart is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser! It’s so easy to throw together with just a few ingredients. Feel free to get creative and make it your own with different seasonings and mix-ins. Enjoy this simple appetizer for parties, game day, or even as a fun weeknight dinner alongside soup or salad.