Steaming Trader Joe’s soup dumplings in an instant pot is quick and easy! The key is ensuring the instant pot is properly set up to steam the dumplings perfectly. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk through tips for preparing the instant pot, discuss how long to steam different types of dumplings, provide step-by-step instructions, and share serving suggestions. With the right techniques, you can enjoy restaurant-quality soup dumplings at home using your instant pot.
Tips for Preparing the Instant Pot
Here are some tips to ensure your instant pot is ready to steam soup dumplings:
- Use the instant pot inner pot – The metal inner pot that came with your instant pot is ideal for steaming as it’s designed to withstand high heat and pressure. Do not use an additional metal steaming rack or basket.
- Add 1-2 cups water – The water will create steam to cook the dumplings. Use 1 cup for a 6-quart instant pot or 2 cups for an 8-quart.
- Use a steaming rack – While you don’t need a special steaming basket, you do need some type of rack to elevate the dumplings above the water. A basic metal steaming rack, trivet, or collapsible silicone steamer works well.
- Grease the rack – Lightly coat the steaming rack with oil or cooking spray so the dumplings don’t stick.
- Freeze dumplings until firm – For the best texture, freeze dumplings for 1-2 hours until firm before steaming.
Steaming Times for Different Soup Dumplings
Trader Joe’s offers a variety of soup dumplings including Pork, Chicken, and Vegetable. Steaming times can vary slightly depending on the filling. Here are general guidelines:
|Dumpling Type||Steaming Time|
These times are based on cooking 4-6 dumplings in a 6-quart instant pot. If cooking a larger batch, extend the cooking time by 1-2 minutes. Also allow the instant pot to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes before opening the lid.
Follow these simple steps for foolproof soup dumplings every time:
- Add 1-2 cups water to instant pot inner pot based on size.
- Insert a steaming rack and coat lightly with oil or cooking spray.
- Arrange frozen dumplings in a single layer on the rack. Leave space between each dumpling.
- Secure instant pot lid and set valve to sealing position.
- Select the Steam function and adjust cook time based on dumpling type.
- When cooking is complete, wait 5 minutes then move valve to venting to quick release pressure.
- Carefully remove lid, tilting it away from you to avoid scalding steam.
- Use tongs to transfer dumplings to individual soup bowls or a platter.
- Top with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
It’s that easy! In less than 10 minutes you can have a batch of steaming hot soup dumplings ready to eat.
Trader Joe’s soup dumplings are delicious on their own, but here are some serving ideas:
- Ginger Soy Dipping Sauce – Mix soy sauce, rice vinegar, grated ginger and sesame oil.
- Sweet Chili Sauce – Combine chili sauce, rice vinegar and chopped green onions.
- Hot Mustard – Stir together Chinese mustard, rice vinegar and chili oil.
- Chicken Soup – Add dumplings to chicken broth with scallions and mushrooms.
- Fried Dumplings – Pan fry for a crispy bottom then steam to finish cooking.
- Potstickers – Brown dumpling bottoms then add water to the pan and cover to steam.
Get creative with dipping sauces, soups, or frying methods after steaming. And be sure to serve immediately while the filling is hot and juicy!
Should the instant pot be preheated before steaming dumplings?
No, there is no need to preheat the instant pot when steaming dumplings. Simply add water, place a greased rack and frozen dumplings inside, and turn on the steam function.
Can you cook dumplings frozen or do they need to be thawed first?
Cooking the dumplings directly from frozen is recommended. Freezing helps keep the filling firm and prevent ruptures during steaming. Thawed dumplings are more delicate and prone to breaking open.
How do you prevent soup dumplings from sticking to the steaming rack?
Lightly coating the steaming rack with oil or cooking spray before adding dumplings will prevent sticking. Avoid overcrowding and leave space between each dumpling too.
Is it better to cook more or less dumplings at a time?
For the most even cooking, stick to 4-6 dumplings in a 6-quart instant pot. Steaming too many at once can increase cooking time and lead to uneven results.
Can you cook different types of dumplings together?
Yes, you can combine pork, chicken, and vegetable dumplings in the same batch. Just select a steaming time in the middle of the range based on the types you are cooking.
How do you know when the dumplings are done?
Check doneness by cutting open a dumpling after steaming. The filling should be hot throughout. The dumpling wrapper should be translucent and tender.
Tips for Perfect Soup Dumplings Every Time
- Use frozen dumplings for best results.
- Allow space between dumplings when arranging in pot.
- Adjust steaming time based on amount and type of dumplings.
- Quick release pressure after cooking before removing lid.
- Serve immediately with dipping sauces of choice.
- Add to soup or pan fry after steaming for varied textures.
Steaming Trader Joe’s soup dumplings in an instant pot is quick, convenient and yields delicious results every time. Just be sure to use the right tools, adjust cook times accordingly, and serve the dumplings immediately for the juiciest filling. With the tips provided above, you’ll be able to enjoy restaurant-quality soup dumplings in the comfort of your own home. Experiment with different dipping sauces, soups and frying methods to expand your soup dumpling horizons!