Checkers and Rally’s are known for their delicious seasoned french fries. The fries have a perfect crisp on the outside and fluffy interior. Many people wonder if they can recreate those famous fries at home using an air fryer. The good news is – yes, you can! Air frying is a great way to make homemade fries that taste just as good as the restaurant version.
What You Need
|Russet potatoes||Olive oil or avocado oil spray|
|Seasoned salt||Garlic powder|
To make Checkers-style fries at home, you will need just a few simple ingredients:
– Russet potatoes – Russets make the best fries because of their starch content. They get crispy on the outside while staying fluffy inside.
– Olive oil or avocado oil spray – The oil helps the seasoning stick to the fries. Olive or avocado oil are healthy options.
– Seasoned salt – This is the main seasoning that gives Checkers fries their signature flavor.
– Garlic powder – Garlic adds lots of flavor.
– Onion powder – Onion powder complements the garlic powder well.
– Paprika – For both flavor and color.
– Thyme – A little thyme adds complexity.
– Parsley – Fresh parsley gives a pop of herbaceous flavor.
How to Prepare the Potatoes
Start by washing and drying the potatoes thoroughly. Do not peel them, as leaving the skin on helps them get extra crispy.
Cut the potatoes into thick matchsticks, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. The thicker cut helps the fries get fluffy inside.
Place the cut fries in a bowl and rinse under cold water. Drain and pat completely dry with paper towels or a clean dish towel.
Season the Fries
In a small bowl, combine the seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, thyme and parsley.
Drizzle the cut fries with a small amount of oil and toss to coat evenly. This helps the seasoning stick.
Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over the fries. Toss gently to distribute the seasoning.
Air Fry the Fries
Working in batches, place the fries in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Do not overcrowd.
Air fry at 400°F for 12-15 minutes, tossing halfway, until golden brown and crispy.
Repeat with remaining fries.
These air fried fries taste best right out of the air fryer! Serve them immediately while hot and crispy.
Dip in ketchup, ranch dressing or Checkers/Rally’s signature Bold & Gold sauce if desired.
Here are some tips for perfect air fried Checkers-style fries:
– Use fresh, just-cut fries. Older or pre-cut fries won’t get as crispy.
– Rinse the cut fries well to remove excess starch. This prevents them from sticking together.
– Dry the fries very thoroughly before seasoning and air frying.
– Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. Give the fries room to get crisp.
– Shake the basket halfway during cooking to promote even browning.
– Adjust cooking time as needed based on thickness of cut and amount of fries.
– Work in batches for best results. Fries steam instead of crisp if air fryer is too full.
– Serve immediately before the fries lose their crispness.
Storing Leftover Fries
If you have leftover fries, here are some storage tips:
– Let fries cool completely before storing.
– Store in an airtight container or zip top bag.
– Fries will stay crispy in the fridge for up to 3 days.
– To reheat, place fries on a baking sheet in a 400°F oven for 4-5 minutes.
More Air Fryer Fries Ideas
– Ranch Fries – Toss air fried fries in ranch dressing powder and parsley.
– Chili Cheese Fries – Top fries with chili and shredded cheese.
– Garlic Parmesan Fries – Toss fries in garlic butter and parmesan before air frying.
– Loaded Fries – Top fries with bacon, cheese and sour cream.
– Spicy Fries – Season fries with cayenne, paprika, garlic powder and cumin.
– Sweet Potato Fries – Swap in sweet potatoes for a sweet twist.
Recreating those famous Checkers seasoned fries at home is easy with an air fryer. Just a few simple ingredients and following these steps will give you perfect crisp, flavorful fries. Adjust cook times and seasonings to your taste. Serve these quick and delicious fries up for dinner or your next game day party!