A watermelon shot is a fun and refreshing cocktail made with a few simple ingredients. The key components that go into a watermelon shot are watermelon liqueur, vodka, and fresh watermelon juice.
The Main Ingredients
Here are the main ingredients that go into a watermelon shot:
- Watermelon liqueur – This provides the sweet and watermelon flavors. Popular brands used include St. George Spirits Watermelon Vodka or Smirnoff Watermelon Vodka.
- Vodka – This provides the alcoholic base. You can use a neutral vodka or citrus vodka.
- Fresh watermelon juice – Freshly squeezed watermelon juice provides additional watermelon flavor and sweetness.
- Lime juice – The lime juice adds some tartness and acidity to balance out the sweetness.
Some extra ingredients that can be used to enhance the flavor and appearance include:
- Simple syrup – Adding some simple syrup amplifies the sweetness.
- Mint – Fresh mint adds a nice aromatic component.
- Chili powder – A dash of chili powder can provide some spiciness.
- Watermelon wedge/slice – Used for garnish on the glass rim.
Steps to Make a Watermelon Shot
Follow these simple steps to make watermelon shots at home:
- Cut up a fresh watermelon into chunks, removing the rind. Place the watermelon chunks into a blender.
- Add around 1 cup of watermelon chunks into the blender for a single batch of shots.
- Pour in around 1/4 cup of watermelon liqueur and 1/4 cup vodka.
- Blend on high speed until smooth. Pour through a fine mesh strainer to remove any pulp.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice and taste. Add simple syrup if desired to make it sweeter.
- To serve, pour the watermelon shot mixture into small glasses or shot glasses. Garnish with a watermelon wedge or mint leaf.
Watermelon shots can be served and enjoyed in a variety of ways:
- As a chilled shot – Simply pour the shot mixture into a shot glass and drink it straight as a chilled shot.
- On the rocks – Pour the shot over ice in an old fashioned or rocks glass.
- With soda water – For a refreshing cooler, top up the shot with soda water or lemon-lime soda.
- With vodka – Make it boozier by adding a splash of plain vodka.
Tips for Making Great Watermelon Shots
Here are some tips to make stellar watermelon shots at home:
- Use ripe, sweet watermelons at peak ripeness for maximum flavor.
- Chill the shot mixture very well before serving for a refreshing texture.
- Adjust sweetness to taste with simple syrup or extra watermelon liqueur.
- Use high-proof vodka for the best flavor and intensity.
- Garnish with lime wedges, fresh mint, or chili powder for extra flair.
- Serve in ice-filled shot glasses or mini mason jars for a cute presentation.
Fun Flavor Variations
Some fun flavor twists on the classic watermelon shot include:
- Watermelon Basil – Muddle some fresh basil leaves into the shot mixture.
- Watermelon Jalapeño – Add diced jalapeño for heat.
- Watermelon Mojito – Use rum instead of vodka and add mint.
- Watermelon Berry – Blend in raspberries, strawberries, or blueberries.
Watermelon shots are a festive and flavorful cocktail that are perfect for summer parties and gatherings. They come together quickly with just a few ingredients, and can be customized in endless ways. The secret is using fresh, ripe watermelon and chilling the shots very cold. Garnish with a watermelon slice or fresh herbs, and enjoy these sweet, watermelon-infused shots all season long!