When it comes to choosing the healthiest and lowest calorie beverage options, people often wonder – what is the skinniest drink? With so many different types of drinks to choose from like sodas, juices, coffee drinks, alcohol, and more, it can be confusing to know which options are the best for keeping calories and sugar intake low.
The Skinniest Drink Options
Here are some of the top contenders for the skinniest drink:
- Water – 0 calories
- Unsweetened tea – 0 calories
- Black coffee – 0-5 calories
- Seltzer water – 0 calories
- Diet soda – 0 calories
- Skim milk – 90 calories per cup
- Vodka soda – 100 calories per 1.5 oz shot
As you can see, the beverages with 0 calories are going to be your best bet if you are looking for the absolute skinniest options. Water, unsweetened tea, seltzer, and diet sodas contain minimal or no calories, so they are ideal choices.
Comparing Calorie Counts
To really understand which drinks qualify as the skinniest, it helps to see a comparison of the calorie counts in different beverage options side by side. Here is a nutritional comparison of the calorie content in popular drink choices:
|Unsweetened Tea||1 cup||0|
|Diet Soda||12 oz can||0|
|Apple Juice||1 cup||114|
|Orange Juice||1 cup||112|
|Skim Milk||1 cup||90|
|Regular Soda||12 oz can||140-150|
|Sweet Tea||1 cup||70|
Looking at the calorie counts side-by-side really illustrates which options are lowest. Water, unsweetened tea, and diet soda are clearly the winners when it comes to the skinniest drinks.
Benefits of Drinking Water
Given that water is calorie-free, it is one of the healthiest beverage choices. There are many benefits to drinking more water:
- It hydrates the body and all organs.
- It can help with weight loss and maintenance.
- It gives the body energy and boosts metabolism.
- It flushes out toxins and improves kidney function.
- It keeps the skin looking healthy and youthful.
- It helps food digest properly.
Aim to drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day. Increase water intake when exercising or during hot weather to stay hydrated. Choose still or sparkling water for zero calories and maximum hydration.
Going Sugar-Free with Diet Drinks
Diet sodas and sparkling waters are another excellent skinny drink choice at 0 calories. By going sugar-free, you can enjoy carbonated beverages while avoiding excess calories.
Some benefits of diet soda and seltzer water include:
- Contain zero calories, carbs, or sugar
- Provide the carbonated taste that many people crave
- Come in a huge variety of flavors
- Are portable and convenient options
- Can satisfy a sweet tooth without unhealthy sugars
Just be mindful of your diet soda or sparkling water intake each day, as overdoing it could potentially have drawbacks from the artificial sweeteners for some people. Enjoy diet drinks in moderation as part of an overall balanced diet.
The Benefits of Unsweetened Tea
Sipping on unsweetened iced or hot tea is another excellent way to stay hydrated without extra calories or sugar. Some of the benefits of unsweetened tea include:
- Contains zero calories
- Provides hydration from the water content
- Has antioxidants from the tea leaves
- Variety of flavors like black, green, herbal, etc.
- Can be iced cold in summer or hot in winter
- Easy to make yourself at home for minimal cost
Brew a pitcher of unsweetened iced tea at home or grab a cup of simple green tea for a lightly flavored skinny drink option. Avoid adding extra calories by skipping sugary syrups and sweeteners in tea.
Alcohol with Less Calories
When it comes to alcohol, liquor and wine will provide the skinniest options at around 100 calories per serving. Some ways to cut alcohol calories include:
- Choosing vodka, rum, tequila, whiskey neat or with zero calorie mixers
- Opting for light beers which have around 100 calories for 12 oz
- Drinking wine spritzers made with wine and seltzer water
- Selecting dry wines rather than sweet varieties
- Limiting high calorie mixers like juice, soda, and sugary syrups
While calories still add up quickly with alcohol, opting for liquor, light beer, and dry wine can keep drink calories lower.
Skinny Coffee Drinks
Coffee can also be a low calorie beverage if you avoidhigh fat additions like heavy cream and sugary syrups. Some skinny coffee drink ideas include:
- Plain black coffee
- Coffee with just a splash of milk or creamer
- Sugar-free flavored coffee
- Skinny latte made with nonfat milk
- Iced coffee with a little bit of sweetener
- Cappuccino using skim or low fat milk
A splash of milk, a packet of calorie-free sweetener, or a pump of sugar-free flavor can provide flavor without spiking calories too much. Avoid milkshakes, frappes, and heavily sweetened coffee drinks.
Tips for Choosing Skinny Drinks
Here are some helpful tips for picking the skinniest drinks whenever you have a beverage:
- Opt for plain or sparkling water as much as possible.
- Brew teas unsweetened or add just a tiny bit of honey/lemon.
- Choose diet sodas, seltzers, or light beers when craving bubbles.
- Drink spirits like vodka and soda for low calorie alcohol options.
- Keep coffee drink calories low by avoiding heavy cream and sugary syrups.
- If drinking juice, stick to a small 4-6 oz glass.
- Read nutrition labels to compare calorie counts.
- Skip beverages with more than 100 calories per serving.
Following these simple suggestions can help you pick the skinniest and healthiest beverages for weight management and wellbeing.
When it comes to the skinniest possible drinks, water, unsweetened tea, diet soda, seltzer water, and black coffee reign supreme at 0-5 calories per serving. Alcohol like wine and spirits can also be a lower calorie choice when servings are controlled. Read nutrition labels closely and try to avoid beverages over 100 calories per serving. With so many delicious zero calorie and low calorie beverage options, it is totally possible to find skinny drink choices you love!