The toaster that can be turned on its side is known as a horizontal toaster or a rotary toaster. This type of toaster allows you to toast bread and other items vertically as well as horizontally by turning the toasting chamber 90 degrees.
What are the key features of a horizontal toaster?
Here are some of the key features that distinguish a horizontal toaster from a regular pop-up toaster:
- Rotating toasting chamber – The chamber that holds the bread can be rotated 90 degrees to switch between vertical and horizontal toasting.
- Extra wide slots – The slots are wider than a typical toaster to accommodate items laying horizontally.
- Adjustable bread carriages – The racks that hold the bread can be adjusted to different widths to accommodate different sizes of bread and other baked goods.
- Variable browning controls – Allow you to adjust the toasting level when toasting vertically or horizontally.
- Defrost setting – Help defrost and lightly toast frozen items laid horizontally.
- Removable crumb tray – Catches crumbs and makes cleaning easier.
- Cool touch exterior – The outer body stays cool to the touch for safety.
These features allow horizontal toasters to toast a greater variety of breads and baked goods than a standard vertical toaster.
What are the benefits of using a horizontal toaster?
Here are some of the advantages that a toaster with horizontal toasting capability provides:
- Toast different bread types – Toast everything from large artisan breads to bagels, English muffins, and small slices of bread.
- Fit more pieces at once – The extra wide slots allow you to toast multiple pieces side-by-side.
- Toppings stay on top – Keeps sliced bread with spreads and toppings in the proper orientation.
- Even toasting – Items lay flat so the entire surface gets evenly toasted.
- Quick heating and cooling – The closeness to the heating elements allows for fast preheating and cooling down.
- Versatility – One appliance can handle all your toasting needs for different breads and pastries.
The flexibility to toast either vertically or horizontally expands what you can toast and how many pieces you can do at once.
What types of breads and other items can you toast horizontally?
Here are some examples of items you can toast horizontally that may not fit or toast as evenly in a vertical toaster:
- English muffins
- Buns and rolls
- Sliced bread with toppings/spreads
- Leftover pizza slices
- Large slices of artisan bread
- Pita and naan bread
- Fruit breads and pastries
The horizontal toasting function lets you toast these types of items evenly across the entire surface. The wider slot width also accommodates their shapes and sizes.
What brands make high quality horizontal toasters?
Some of the leading brands of horizontal toasters include:
|KitchenAid||Even Toast Technology, bagel function, extra-wide 1.5 inch slots, lift-and-see toast boost|
|Cuisinart||LCD display, motorized lift, dual independent control panels, 1.5 inch wide slots|
|Breville||Automatic bread carriage lift, variable browning control, illuminated buttons, removable crumb tray|
|Oster||Extra-wide slots, bagel function, defrost setting, dual auto-adjusting bread guides|
|Hamilton Beach||Keep warm function, quick auto shut-off, shade selector, removable crumb tray|
These brands offer durable stainless steel construction, reliable performance, and useful features like multiple browning settings, defrost modes, and removable crumb trays.
What should you look for when buying a horizontal toaster?
Here are some key factors to consider when selecting a horizontal toaster:
- Slot size – Look for at least 1.5 inches wide to accommodate different breads and items.
- Adjustable bread carriages – Allow you to move the racks to fit different shapes and sizes.
- Rotating toasting chamber – Should rotate smoothly and easily between vertical and horizontal positions.
- Browning controls – Separate settings for each side allow custom toasting for vertical and horizontal modes.
- Defrost mode – Helps thaw and toast frozen items laid horizontally.
- Auto shut-off – For safety when toast is done or improperly loaded.
- Removable crumb tray – For easy cleanup of crumbs and spills.
Consider your budget, size needs, and which features will be most useful to look for the right horizontal toaster for your kitchen.
How does the pricing of horizontal toasters compare to regular pop-up toasters?
Horizontal toasters are generally more expensive than basic pop-up toasters. Here is a comparison of average pricing:
|Toaster Type||Average Price Range|
|Basic pop-up toaster||$15 – $50|
|Horizontal toaster||$50 – $150|
|High-end horizontal toaster||$150 – $300|
The increased pricing of horizontal models reflects their more complex mechanics, larger size, and additional features. More expensive models from premium brands offer higher-end materials, electronic controls, and enhanced durability.
However, many buyers find the benefits of being able to toast multiple types of breads and baked goods in a horizontal position well worth the higher price over a standard vertical toaster.
What are some tips for using a horizontal toaster?
Here are some useful tips to get the most out of a horizontal toaster:
- Read the instruction manual thoroughly to understand all the features and functions.
- Be mindful of the cord placement so the toaster can rotate freely.
- When toasting horizontally, place items towards the back of the slot so the carriage lifts properly.
- Use the adjustment knobs to fit the carriage openings to the size of the bread.
- Set the browning level based on thickness and moisture content of the bread.
- Allow a cooling period between uses to avoid overheating.
- Clean crumbs and spills regularly to prevent buildup.
- Unplug when not in use and store in an upright position.
Taking the time to learn your toaster’s functions and following basic safety practices will provide great results whether toasting vertically or horizontally.
What are some creative ways to use a horizontal toaster?
A horizontal toaster opens up creative possibilities beyond just different types of bread. Here are some fun ideas of different things you can toast in a horizontal toaster:
- Make personalized grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Toast sandwiches with fillings to melt cheese and warm ingredients.
- Make mini pizzas by toasting English muffins or bagels with toppings.
- Reheat leftover french toast, pancakes, or waffles.
- Warm tortillas then fill for tacos or quesadillas.
- Toast fruit breads and pastries for breakfast.
- Crisp crackers or flatbreads for dips and spreads.
- Warm poptarts and toaster pastries.
A horizontal toaster makes it easy to create quick snacks, meals, and appetizers well beyond just toast. The ability to lay items flat allows you to get creative with reheating and toasting foods.
A horizontal toaster provides benefits over a standard vertical model when it comes to the variety of items you can toast and how evenly they cook. The rotating toasting chamber, wider slots, and adjustable bread carriages let you toast different shaped breads and baked goods laid horizontally. Leading brands like KitchenAid, Cuisinart, and Breville offer quality construction plus helpful features for getting optimal toasting results. While horizontal toasters come at a higher price point, for many the versatility and ability to handle items a normal toaster cannot makes it well worth the investment. Taking the time to learn how to use all the functions and following safety measures will provide delicious toasted items time after time.