Chocolate rum is a delicious and versatile liquor that can be enjoyed in many ways. When pairing chocolate rum with other ingredients, there are a few key things to consider: the cocoa and vanilla notes of the rum should be complemented, not overwhelmed; sweet flavors tend to work better than savory; and you want the chocolate rum flavor to come through. With the right pairings, chocolate rum can be taken from a simple after-dinner drink to the star of a decadent dessert or cocktail.
What flavors pair well with chocolate rum?
Here are some of the most complementary flavors and ingredients to pair with chocolate rum:
- Vanilla – Vanilla is a perfect partner for chocolate rum’s cocoa notes. It adds warmth and accentuates the sweetness.
- Coffee – The slight bitterness of coffee is a great contrast to the sweet chocolate flavors.
- Hazelnut – This nutty flavor is another classic pairing with chocolate.
- Caramel – Buttery, rich caramel is delicious with chocolate rum.
- Almond – Almond extract or amaretto add marzipan and cherry-like tones.
- Orange – Citrus brightens the flavor and cuts through the sweetness.
- Cinnamon – Warm, spicy cinnamon complements chocolate’s richness.
- Peppermint – The cool mintiness pairs surprisingly well with chocolate.
- Raspberry – The tart berry flavor balances the sweet chocolate.
- Coffee liqueurs – Try crème de cacao, Kahlúa or Irish cream.
- Nut liqueurs – Frangelico and amaretto are perfect choices.
- Cream/milk – Adding creaminess mellows and enhances the chocolate.
Desserts that pair with chocolate rum
Chocolate rum is ideal for pouring over or incorporating into all kinds of sweet treats. Here are some delicious dessert ideas:
Chocolate rum fondue
For an elegant yet easy dessert, prepare a chocolate fondue with melted chocolate and chocolate rum. Dip bite-size pieces of banana, strawberries, pineapple, pound cake, marshmallows, and more into the decadent chocolate-rum blend.
Chocolate rum baked goods
Add a splash of chocolate rum to brownie, cake, muffin or cupcake batters. It brings moisture and infuses the chocolate flavor. Brush chocolate rum syrup over baked goods right when they come out of the oven for extra sweetness and shine. Rum extract can also be used in chocolate cookies, pies and tarts.
Chocolate rum panna cotta
Make a creamy chocolate rum panna cotta by infusing the cream with chocolate rum before thickening it with gelatin. Garnish with fresh berries for a light, decadent dessert.
Chocolate rum mousse
For airy chocolate mousse, fold whipped cream, chocolate ganache and chocolate rum together. Chill until set. Top with shaved chocolate or whipped cream.
Chocolate rum fruit
Fresh fruit dipped in melted chocolate, then in chocolate rum creates an easy, elegant dessert. Try strawberries, pineapple chunks, mango slices or bananas prepared this way.
Chocolate rum ice cream
Stir chocolate rum into softened chocolate ice cream for added flavor. Or make chocolate rum ice cream from scratch by adding rum to a chocolate ice cream base before chilling and freezing.
Cocktails featuring chocolate rum
Chocolate rum shines when used to create fun, indulgent cocktails. Here are some cocktail recipes that include chocolate rum:
Chocolate Rum Old Fashioned
Muddle a sugar cube with bitters and water. Add ice, chocolate rum and garnish with an orange slice.
Rum Chocolate Martini
Shake chocolate rum, vodka and crème de cacao with ice. Strain and garnish with cocoa powder or chocolate shavings.
Blend chocolate rum, coconut rum, pineapple juice and coconut cream. Garnish with pineapple wedge.
Chocolate Rumpkin Spice
Combine chocolate rum, pumpkin puree, milk, pumpkin pie spice and ice. Shake and strain into a glass.
Mexican Chocolate Rum-tini
Mix chocolate rum, coffee liqueur, heavy cream and cinnamon. Shake with ice and strain. Garnish with cinnamon stick.
Rummy White Russian
Pour chocolate rum, coffee liqueur and cream over ice. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Best practices for cooking and mixing with chocolate rum
To get the most flavor and balance when cooking or mixing drinks with chocolate rum, follow these tips:
- Use high quality chocolate rum with noticeable cocoa flavors.
- Start with a small amount of rum and adjust to taste.
- Add rum early on during cooking so flavors can develop.
- Warming the rum can help intensify chocolate aromas.
- Balance stronger rum with more milk/cream or sweetener if needed.
- Don’t overheat or overcook rum mixes to avoid burning off alcohol.
- Shake or stir chocolate rum cocktails gently to retain silky texture.
The best brands of chocolate rum
Not all chocolate rums are created equal when it comes to flavor profiles. Here are some of the top shelf chocolate rum brands to try:
Cruzan Rum Chocolate Rum Cream
This rum liqueur from Cruzan has rich chocolate and vanilla flavors swirled with rum and dairy cream. It makes an indulgent after dinner sipper.
Captain Morgan Black Rum
Captain Morgan’s Black Rum is aged in charred oak barrels to pick up hints of caramel and vanilla. It mixes well in cocktails or desserts.
Mount Gay Black Barrel Rum
A rum from Barbados with dense, complex chocolate flavors balanced by toasted coconut and spice notes.
Ron Zacapa XO Rum
This premium Guatemalan rum has velvety chocolate-caramel flavors and subtle spice from aging in French oak casks.
Rhum J.M XO
A deeply flavorful and aromatic Martinique rum with pronounced nutty, coffee, vanilla and dried fruit notes.
Diplomático Reserva Exclusiva
A Venezuelan sipping rum with creamy chocolate, maple, caramel and ripe banana flavors.
Chocolate rum is endlessly versatile, pairing well with sweet flavors like vanilla, caramel, nuts, coffee and fruit in drinks and desserts. Use high quality chocolate rum and balance the cocoa richness with cream or sweetness. Sip top brands like Cruzan, Captain Morgan, Mount Gay and Ron Zacapa neat or in creative cocktail recipes. With the right complementary ingredients, chocolate rum can take center stage in decadent yet well-balanced treats.