Skip to Content

What should I do if I accidentally ate a fly egg?

Accidentally eating a fly egg is an experience that many people have likely faced at some point. While fly eggs are very small and may go unnoticed, the thought of having ingested one can be unsettling. However, there is typically no need for concern if you happened to swallow a fly egg. This article will provide some quick answers about what to do if you ate a fly egg, the potential risks, and how to prevent ingesting fly eggs in the future.

Quick Answers

  • Fly eggs are very small, about 1 mm long, and easy to accidentally ingest.
  • Eating a fly egg is not dangerous or toxic to humans.
  • You do not need to seek medical treatment after eating a fly egg.
  • The fly egg will be broken down and digested in the stomach.
  • Practice good hygiene and food safety habits to avoid fly eggs on food.

What Happens When You Eat a Fly Egg?

When a fly egg is swallowed, it enters the digestive tract where it is broken down by stomach acids and digestive enzymes. Here is a breakdown of what happens:

In the Mouth

If you realized you ate a fly egg while it was still in your mouth, you can simply spit it out by working up saliva and spitting. At this stage, the fly egg remains intact. However, fly eggs are very small, making them easy to swallow unknowingly.

In the Stomach

Once swallowed, the hard outer shell of the fly egg begins being dissolved by digestive fluids in the stomach, including hydrochloric acid. Enzymes like pepsin further break down the proteins in the egg over the next few hours.

In the Intestines

The broken-down particles of the fly egg get absorbed through the intestinal walls and enter the bloodstream. Any indigestible pieces of the egg shell are excreted through the feces. Overall, the fly egg is eliminated from the body through digestion within a day.

In the Bloodstream

The digested nutrients from the fly egg enter the bloodstream and are used by the body like any other protein. The small amount of nutrients absorbed is negligible.

Is It Dangerous to Eat Fly Eggs?

Eating fly eggs is not inherently dangerous or toxic to humans. Here’s why fly eggs are generally harmless if ingested:

  • Fly eggs do not contain toxins or compounds that are poisonous to humans.
  • Fly egg shells are broken down and digested like any other food material.
  • The small amount of nutrients absorbed from a fly egg does not harm the body.
  • Fly eggs do not carry diseases transmissible to humans through ingestion.

Of course, this refers to accidentally eating a fly egg that was on a food product. Intentionally consuming large amounts of fly eggs or eggs from disease-carrying flies would be hazardous. But the occasional fly egg ingested unknowingly is safe.

Rare Exceptions

There are a couple of rare exceptions where consuming a fly egg could potentially cause issues:

  • People with egg allergies could have an allergic reaction, though this is less likely with fly eggs.
  • People with compromised immune systems may be at higher risk of illness from bacteria on the egg.

However, these situations are very uncommon, and eating a fly egg is still generally safe for most people.

Will I Get Sick from Eating Fly Eggs?

It is very unlikely you’ll get sick from accidentally ingesting a fly egg. Here’s why:

No Viruses or Bacteria

Housefly eggs do not inherently contain viruses or bacteria that can make humans sick. The hard outer shell protects the developing fly embryo inside from contamination.

Stomach Acid Kills Pathogens

The acidic environment of the stomach kills most bacteria, viruses, and parasites that could be picked up on the outer shell of the egg. This helps prevent possible foodborne illnesses.

Healthy Immune System

For people with normal immune function, the body is well equipped to deal with and destroy any external microbes on accidentally ingested fly eggs. An infection is unlikely.

Low Numbers Ingested

The chances of getting sick decline even further when only 1-2 fly eggs are ingested. Large doses of contaminated eggs would be required to override stomach acid and immune defenses.

So while flies themselves can spread disease by contaminating food, their eggs pose little infection risk if accidentally eaten in typical scenarios. Monitoring your health and watching for any symptoms in the week after ingestion can provide peace of mind.

Do I Need to See a Doctor if I Ate a Fly Egg?

Seeing a doctor after accidentally consuming a fly egg is not necessary in most cases. This is because fly eggs are not toxic and getting sick from one is very improbable.

However, you may want to consult a doctor if:

  • You have a known egg allergy and experience signs of an allergic reaction after ingestion, such as hives, swelling, or anaphylaxis.
  • You have a compromised immune system that makes you more susceptible to illness from bacteria that could be on the egg.
  • You begin experiencing concerning gastrointestial symptoms that could indicate an infection.
  • You have chronic health conditions where infection poses higher risks.
  • You swallowed a large number of fly eggs that substantially increases risk.

In these scenarios, see a healthcare provider to discuss treatment options, diagnostic tests, or preventative antibiotics if warranted.

However, for most healthy people that ingested a typical amount of fly eggs, adverse effects are very rare and just monitoring yourself for symptoms is adequate. Contact a doctor if anything worrisome develops.

How to Prevent Eating Fly Eggs

To avoid accidentally eating fly eggs, practice good food safety and hygiene:

Inspect Foods

Closely check fruits, vegetables, proteins, ready-to-eat foods, and any items sitting out for fly eggs. Produce from gardens may be more prone to eggs. Discard food if eggs are spotted.

Cover and Refrigerate Foods

Keep foods covered or in sealed containers, especially if sitting out after cooking. Refrigerating perishables prevents flies from being attracted to lay eggs.

Clean Surfaces

Routinely clean countertops, tables, grills, and any food prep or eating surfaces. This removes bits of food and bacteria flies are attracted to.

Take Out the Trash

Empty garbage cans often, especially those containing food waste. Flies breed in rotting organic matter.

Use Fly Screens

Install fly screens on doors and windows to prevent flies from entering kitchens and dining areas.

Table 1. Fly Egg Prevention Tips
Prevention Method How It Helps
Inspect foods Spot and remove items with eggs
Refrigerate foods Deters fly attraction and egg laying
Clean surfaces Removes food sources for flies
Take out trash Eliminates breeding grounds
Use fly screens Blocks fly entry

Control Flies

Use traps, baits, and insecticides when necessary to reduce fly populations around your home. This gives flies less opportunity to contaminate food.

Following food safety best practices helps break the fly lifecycle and minimizes risks of accidentally consuming fly eggs and maggots.


Accidentally eating the occasional fly egg is not a cause for concern in most cases. Fly eggs get broken down during digestion and provide negligible nutrition. They do not contain compounds toxic to humans or transmit infectious diseases through ingestion alone. While extremely rare, people with severe allergies or compromised immunity may be at higher risk from bacteria possibly on the egg. For most people, no treatment is required and the fly egg will pass through the body harmlessly. Nonetheless, take measures to prevent flies around food by inspecting produce, refrigerating items, cleaning surfaces, and disposing trash properly. Following basic hygienic practices helps avoid exposure to fly eggs and reduces chances of accidental consumption.