Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning is a versatile blend of spices that can be used to add flavor to a variety of dishes. It typically contains a mix of chili powder, cumin, garlic, onion, oregano, and other spices. The exact recipe can vary between brands, but the key flavors are southwestern and Tex-Mex inspired. Let’s take a closer look at the main spices found in this bold seasoning blend:
Chili powder is the base ingredient that gives Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning its signature red color and spicy kick. Most chili powder contains a blend of chile peppers, cumin, garlic, and oregano. The specific chiles used can vary, but common types include ancho, New Mexico, and arbol chiles. The blend of dried chiles provides a mixture of mild heat and complex flavor. Just a tablespoon or two of chili powder packs quite a punch and infuses dishes with a taste of the American Southwest.
Cumin is another quintessential Tex-Mex spice featured in Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning. Cumin has an earthy, nutty flavor that plays off the heat of the chili powder. As a member of the parsley family, cumin seeds are small and oblong in shape. When ground into a powder, cumin provides a smoky aroma and a slight bitterness that complements the blend of spices. Just a half teaspoon of cumin powder contributes significantly to the southwest seasoning profile.
Garlic powder is an essential ingredient that provides rich umami flavor. Dehydrated garlic powder concentrates the pungent essence of fresh garlic into a convenient ground spice. When sprinkled on pinto beans, meats, veggies, and more, garlic powder amps up the aromatic flavor. A touch of garlic powder goes a long way in rounding out the overall taste and smell of Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning.
Like garlic powder, onion powder provides a big punch of flavor and aroma. Onion powder is made from dehydrated onion that is ground into a fine consistency. It adds a savory, slightly sweet undertone that heightens the overall flavor experience. Onion powder works synergistically with the other spices to provide a well-balanced depth of taste.
Oregano is an herb that features prominently in Italian and Mediterranean cooking. In Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning, oregano provides a woodsy, slightly minty flavor that offsets the bold spices. Oregano contains antioxidants and has an intense flavor that belies the small leaves of the herb. A little bit of oregano goes a long way in rounding out the spice profile of southwest-style blends.
Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning may also contain a range of additional spices like:
- Paprika – For color, mild sweetness and slight heat
- Black pepper – For a hint of spiciness
- Coriander – For a citrusy, floral note
- Cayenne pepper – For extra heat
- Cinnamon – For warmth and sweetness
- Cloves – For a strong, pungent flavor
The possibilities are endless when it comes to customizing a signature spice blend. Manufacturers may include any combination of spices to create a unique mixture with layered flavors. Part of the fun is experimenting with different spice profiles to complement different recipes.
How is Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning Used?
Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning is a versatile all-purpose seasoning that can be used to flavor:
- Pinto beans – Season during cooking or sprinkle on top after
- Rice and grains – Add to rice, quinoa, couscous, etc.
- Vegetables – Toss with veggies before roasting or grilling
- Meats – Rub on chicken, beef, pork and more before cooking
- Dips and spreads – Mix into hummus, bean dips, cheese dips, etc.
- Snacks – Sprinkle on popcorn, nuts, chips and more
- Salads and bowls – Add to dressings, protein bowls, grain bowls
- Soups and stews – Mix into chilis, sautés, braises and soup broths
A little sprinkle of Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning can transform ordinary ingredients into something special. The blend of spices infuses southwestern inspiration into everyday meals. Start with a teaspoon and adjust to taste based on your preference for heat and flavor intensity.
As a blend of dried spices and herbs, Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning is low in calories, fat, and carbs. The nutrition can vary based on the specific ingredients and amounts, but a typical 1 tablespoon (5g) serving provides approximately:
The main nutrients in Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning come from small amounts of carbohydrates and protein. The blend is a low-calorie way to add tons of flavor without excess salt, fat, or carbs. Use Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning to jazz up your favorite foods without worrying about unwanted additions.
Where to Buy Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning
There are many brand options when it comes to Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning. Here are some places you can find it:
- Grocery stores – Look in the spice aisle or with other Mexican/Tex-Mex ingredients
- Amazon – Search for brands like Badia, Mrs. Dash, McCormick, Tiger Sauce, and more
- Walmart – Find Great Value, Badia, and other brands in the spice section
- Target – Look for Archer Farms, Frontera, Badia and other options
- Specialty markets – Mexican, Latin or southwestern-style grocers will have a good selection
Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning ranges in price from about $1 to $5 depending on the brand, size, and where you shop. It’s an affordable way to keep a flavorful Southwest seasoning on hand.
How to Make Your Own
You can easily make homemade Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning to control the flavor profile and ingredients. Here is a simple spice blend recipe to try:
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir to blend thoroughly.
- Transfer to an airtight container or spice jar.
- Store in a cool, dark place and use within 3-6 months for optimal freshness.
- Sprinkle on beans, meats, veggies, etc. as desired.
- Adjust amounts of each spice to customize flavor and heat to your taste.
Making your own Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning allows you to control the taste and heat level. Play around with the spice amounts until you create your perfect southwestern blend.
Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning brings the vibrant flavors of Tex-Mex cuisine to lift up everyday cooking. It typically contains a mix of chili powder, cumin, garlic, onion, oregano, and other spices for a bold, southwest-inspired blend. Just a sprinkle adds heat, aroma, and complexity to pinto beans, meats, veggies, and more. Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning is a versatile and flavorful addition to spice up recipes with a little Southwestern flair.