When it comes to smoothie bowls, the toppings you choose can really take your creation to the next level! The base of a smoothie bowl starts with delicious blended fruit, but layers of crunchy, creamy, and fresh toppings are what give each bowl its unique flavor and texture. Here are some of the best smoothie bowl toppings to consider using:
Fresh fruit is a classic smoothie bowl topping that adds natural sweetness, fiber, and bright pops of color. Some great fruits to use are:
- Banana – Sliced bananas add creaminess and potassium.
- Berries – Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries add juicy sweet-tart flavor.
- Mango – Cubed mango is tropically delicious and colorful.
- Kiwi – Sliced kiwi offers a fun burst of seeds and tartness.
- Pineapple – Pineapple chunks or tidbits add juicy tang.
- Pomegranate arils – For a bit of crunch and natural sweetness.
Nuts and Seeds
Nuts and seeds make excellent toppings that add protein, healthy fats, and texture contrast. Great options include:
- Almonds – Sliced almonds add nutty crunch.
- Walnuts – Chopped walnuts have an earthy flavor.
- Pecans – Pecan pieces bring delicate crunch.
- Pistachios – Chopped pistachios lend vivid green color.
- Cashews – Cashew chunks offer creamy nuttiness.
- Chia seeds – Tiny chia seeds add fiber, omega-3s, and fun texture.
- Flaxseeds – Milled flaxseeds blend in healthy fats.
- Hemp seeds – Hemp hearts offer plant protein and soft crunch.
- Pumpkin seeds – Pepitas give a satisfying hearty crunch.
Using dried fruit is an easy way to add concentrated sweetness and chewiness to smoothie bowls. Consider topping with:
- Dried cranberries – Tart dried cranberries add a pretty pop of color.
- Raisins – Plump raisins lend natural sweetness.
- Dried cherries – Dried cherries have an intense cherry flavor.
- Dried mango – Chewy dried mango rings are tropical tasting.
- Dried apricots – Diced dried apricots have bright orange color.
- Dates – Chopped dates offer caramel-like richness.
- Dried figs – Sliced figs give a subtly sweet bite.
A sprinkling of granola over a smoothie bowl provides fun clusters of oats, nuts, dried fruit, and seeds for great crunch factor. Choose an unsweetened or lightly sweetened granola to let the fresh fruit flavors shine.
Coconut in various forms makes a delicious smoothie bowl topping. Options include:
- Shredded coconut – For tropical flavor and tender texture.
- Toasted coconut chips – Crunchy coconut chips provide nutty flavor.
- Coconut flakes – Large coconut flakes lend eye-catching texture.
Nut or Seed Butter
Nut and seed butters make smoothie bowls extra creamy while adding protein. Swirl on a spoonful of almond butter, peanut butter, sunflower seed butter, or cashew butter.
Non-fat plain Greek yogurt or skyr yogurt add tangy flavor and creaminess as a topping. Or use frozen yogurt cubes for a fun cold crunch.
Rolled or steel-cut oats sprinkled on top give comforting oat flavor and varied texture.
Chia seeds blended with non-dairy milk create a quick chia “pudding” that can be spooned over smoothies for a protein and fiber boost.
Homemade or store-bought crunchy granola makes a delicious topping that adds whole grains and crunch.
Cacao nibs offer bitterness and chocolate essence. They add antioxidants and rich flavor when sprinkled over smoothie bowls.
A light sprinkle of bee pollen granules contributes nutrients and floral sweetness.
A dash of spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, or cardamom can enhance smoothie bowl flavors.
Chia, hemp, flax, sesame, and poppy seeds lend fun colors, textures, and nutrition to smoothies. Sprinkle on alone or in seed mixes.
You can also top smoothie bowls with extra nutrition in the form of:
- Protein powder
- Greens powder
- Collagen peptides
- Maca powder
- Matcha powder
For delicious crunch, add toppings like:
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Granola clusters
- Toasted quinoa
- Crushed nuts
- Seed brittle
Don’t limit yourself – get creative with smoothie bowl toppings! You can top them with almost any fruit, nut, seed, crunch, drizzle, or crunchy bits you love. The possibilities are endless for crafting a gorgeous smoothie bowl bursting with flavors, textures, colors, and nutrients.