The Hashira, or Pillars, are the nine most powerful swordsmen in the Demon Slayer Corps. They have mastered the art of slaying demons and each have their own unique breathing style and weapon. But among these powerful slayers, who do fans love the most? Let’s take a look at each of the Hashira and see who emerges as the fan favorite.
Gyomei Himejima is the Stone Pillar of the Demon Slayer Corps and widely considered to be the strongest Hashira. He wields a giant axe and has mastered the Breath of Stone technique. Some key facts about Gyomei:
- He is the tallest of all the Hashira, standing at 6 feet 5 inches.
- He has been blind since birth but uses his heightened senses to battle demons.
- He is stated to have the best overall combat ability among all the Hashira.
- He plays a major role in the battle against Muzan and the upper moons.
With his imposing stature and skills, Gyomei is certainly a fan favorite. Many admire his strength and the fact that he doesn’t let his disability hold him back. However, some find his stern personality to be overly serious at times.
Giyu Tomioka is the Water Pillar of the Demon Slayer Corps. He wields a katana and has mastered the Breath of Water technique. Key facts about Giyu:
- He was Tanjiro’s first encounter with the Hashira after final selection.
- He has a reserved personality and doesn’t open up easily.
- He plays a crucial role in Tanjiro’s story, helping him several times.
- He is incredibly strong and skilled with the sword.
Fans are drawn to Giyu for his good looks, quiet strength, and hidden caring nature beneath his aloof exterior. However, some find him to be too stoic and depressed at times.
Sanemi Shinazugawa is the Wind Pillar of the Demon Slayer Corps. He wields a katana and has mastered the Breath of the Wind technique. Here are some key facts about Sanemi:
- He has abrasive personality and is always itching for a fight.
- He distrusts demons and people with connections to them.
- He plays a major role against Kokushibou, the upper moon 1.
- He is extremely agile and quick on his feet.
Sanemi is a polarizing figure among fans. Some love his aggressive fighting style and bad boy attitude. But others find him to be too angry and unstable. His contentious relationship with the other Hashira doesn’t help.
Tengen Uzui is the Sound Pillar of the Demon Slayer Corps. He dual wields swords and has mastered the Breath of the Sound technique. Some key Tengen facts:
- He has a flamboyant personality and eccentric sense of style.
- He’s married to three wives who are also demon slayers.
- He plays a key role in the Demon Slayer Corps’ investigation of the Entertainment District.
- His combat skills are top notch despite losing an eye and hand.
Tengen is a fan favorite for his stylish look and carefree attitude. Many find his confidence and laidback nature to be very appealing. However, some view his flamboyance as excessive at times.
Rengoku Kyojuro was the Flame Pillar of the Demon Slayer Corps before his death. He wielded a katana and used the Breath of Flames technique. Here are the key facts about Rengoku:
- He had an optimistic and motivational personality.
- He mentored Tanjiro and taught him the importance of the fire hashira’s beliefs.
- He battled Akaza, upper moon 3 alone and died from his wounds.
- His father and younger brother are also flame hashira.
Rengoku gained immense popularity after the Mugen Train movie. Fans admire his positive outlook and selfless nature. His motivational words and mentorship of Tanjiro also struck a chord. His heroic last stand against Akaza was the epitome of the hashira spirit.
Shinobu Kocho was the Insect Pillar of the Demon Slayer Corps before her death. She wielded a katana and used the Breath of Insects technique. Here are key details about Shinobu:
- She had a gentle demeanor in contrast with her hashira role.
- She specialized in making poisons to battle demons.
- She desired revenge against the demons who killed her sister.
- She battled Doma, upper moon 2 before sacrificing herself.
Shinobu gained popularity as the kindly older sister figure of the corps. Fans were drawn to her sweet personality juxtaposed with her hashira strength. Her clever use of poisons and desire to avenge her sister also made her very relatable.
Obanai Iguro is the Serpent Pillar of the Demon Slayer Corps. He wields a sword and has mastered the Breath of the Serpent technique. Here are some key Obanai facts:
- He wears bandages over his eyes, possibly due to sensitivity to sunlight.
- He has a reserved personality and tends to keep to himself.
- He is a talented swordsman said to handle his blade like a snake.
- He plays a role in the final battle against Muzan Kibutsuji.
Obanai has gained some popularity among fans who are intrigued by his mysterious aura and snake-like fighting style. However, his cold detachment from others makes him less relatable than other hashira.
Mitsuri Kanroji is Love Pillar of the Demon Slayer Corps. She wields an extendable whip and has mastered the Breath of Love technique. Here are the key Mitsuri facts:
- She has an upbeat, cheery personality.
- She is considered very beautiful, even by demon slayer standards.
- She has immense physical strength despite her smaller build.
- She plays a role in defending Kagaya Ubuyashiki.
Mitsuri has become hugely popular, especially among female fans, for breaking gender norms. Her petite stature hides her incredible strength. Fans also love her bright and positive personality. However, some view her obsession with handsome men as excessive.
Muichiro Tokito is the Mist Pillar of the Demon Slayer Corps. He wields two swords and has mastered the Breath of Mist technique. Here are some key Muichiro facts:
- He is the youngest Hashira having joined at age 14.
- He has a laidback, sleepyhead personality.
- He is a descendant of Kokushibou, upper moon 1.
- He battles and defeats Gyokko, upper moon 5.
Muichiro became popular as the genius prodigy of the hashira. Fans are impressed that he mastered such skills at a young age. His nonchalant attitude and curse heritage also make him an intriguing character. However, his apathy and sleepiness frustrate some.
The Most Popular Hashira
Based on fan polls, online discussions, and merchandise sales, two Hashira stand out above the rest in popularity:
- Rengoku Kyojuro
- Giyu Tomioka
Rengoku surged in popularity after Demon Slayer: Mugen Train. His motivational personality and heroic death cemented him as a fan favorite.
Giyu has consistently been the most popular since his introduction in episode 1. His cool, reserved nature combined with his caring side appeals greatly to fans.
While they rank at the top, all the Hashira have strong fanbases who admire their characters, backstories, and designs. But Rengoku and Giyu have gained truly mainstream popularity even outside regular Demon Slayer fans. Their memorable moments and roles have resonated strongly with audiences.
Visualizing the Hashira’s Popularity
This table shows the approximate popularity rating for each Hashira based on fan polls and online discussion analysis. A higher percentage means more fans view that character as a favorite.
As we can see, Rengoku and Giyu hold the top two spots by a significant margin over the others. Shinobu Kocho also stands out with her high 88% popularity. Even the lowest ranked Hashira still have a respectable popularity, but Rengoku and Giyu are clearly the fan favorites.
Key Reasons for Rengoku and Giyu’s Popularity
There are several key reasons why Rengoku and Giyu are the most popular Hashira among Demon Slayer fans:
Rengoku was the first Hashira introduced in Mugen Train. His friendly duel with Tanjiro left a strong impression. Giyu was the very first demon slayer Tanjiro met in episode 1. Their iconic water-breathing fight scene kickstarted Tanjiro’s journey.
Rengoku’s last stand against Akaza and Giyu saving Tanjiro multiple times are some of the series’ most celebrated scenes. Their courageous actions are crowning moments for the characters.
Rengoku’s optimistic, motivational personality and Giyu’s stoic, badass warrior appeal make them extremely likable. Though opposite in temperament, both have an air of gravitas about them.
The Hashira uniforms and signature looks of Rengoku and Giyu make them very recognizable. Rengoku’s fiery haori and Giyu’s water lily hair pin are iconic staples of their designs.
Crucial story roles
As mentors and allies, Rengoku and Giyu both play instrumental roles in Tanjiro’s story and development as a demon slayer. Their guidance impacts his journey.
In the spectacular roster of the Hashira, two stand at the peak of popularity – Rengoku Kyojuro and Giyu Tomioka. Though for different reasons, both exemplify the ideals of the Demon Slayer Corps through their actions, appeal, and impact on the overall story. Their crucial roles alongside their heroic, fan favorite moments cement their statuses as the most beloved and admired Hashira. While subjective, Rengoku and Giyu have objectively gained an extra level of mainstream popularity that elevates them above their peers.