Freezing coconut yogurt to eat like ice cream is absolutely possible! Coconut yogurt has a creamy, dense texture that lends itself well to being frozen and scooped like ice cream. With just a few tips and tricks, you can easily transform coconut yogurt into a delicious frosty treat.
Can You Freeze Coconut Yogurt?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze coconut yogurt. The high fat content from the coconut milk base means it freezes beautifully into a scoopable, creamy ice cream-like texture. Coconut yogurt contains healthy fats that stay soft when frozen, rather than crystallizing into a hard, icy block.
Freezing gives coconut yogurt an extra creamy richness reminiscent of ice cream. The probiotic cultures in coconut yogurt survive the freezing process so you still get the gut health benefits. All you need to do is stick a carton of coconut yogurt in the freezer overnight and you’ll have ready-to-scoop “ice cream” by morning.
Tips for Freezing Coconut Yogurt
Here are some tips for successfully freezing coconut yogurt into homemade ice cream:
- Start with plain, unsweetened coconut yogurt. The simpler the ingredients, the better the texture after freezing. Avoid yogurt with mix-ins that may alter the texture.
- Freeze in a shallow container or ice cube tray. This increases the surface area for faster freezing.
- Let the coconut yogurt freeze completely solid overnight before scooping.
- Stir the yogurt occasionally as it freezes to distribute the fat evenly and prevent clumping.
- Store frozen coconut yogurt in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Choosing the Best Coconut Yogurt for Freezing
Not all coconut yogurts are created equal when it comes to freezing. Here are some tips for selecting the best coconut yogurt variety for homemade frozen yogurt:
- Full fat – Choose full fat coconut yogurt, not low fat. You need ample fat for a creamy texture.
- No add-ins – Avoid pre-mixed flavors or fruit on the bottom, as chunks can become icy.
- Probiotic-rich – Seek out brands high in probiotics so you still get gut health benefits.
- Organic – Look for organic yogurt when possible to avoid hormones or antibiotics.
Some top-rated coconut yogurt brands that freeze well include So Delicious, Anita’s, Coyo, and Maison Riviera. Always check labels and select plain, full fat coconut yogurt with no added sugars.
How to Use Frozen Coconut Yogurt
The possibilities are endless when it comes to using your homemade frozen coconut yogurt. Here are some delicious ways to eat it:
- Scoop into a bowl and top with fresh fruit, granola, coconut flakes, chia seeds, etc.
- Blend with fresh fruit to make smoothie bowls.
- Make parfaits by layering yogurt with granola and fruit.
- Use as a base for milkshakes or smoothies.
- Scoop over warm baked goods like waffles or brownies.
- Swirl into oatmeal or chia pudding.
- Blend into sauces like strawberry or chocolate sauce.
You can also get creative and use frozen coconut yogurt to make homemade ice cream sandwiches, yogurt pops, or no-churn ice cream cakes.
Coconut Yogurt vs Regular Yogurt for Freezing
Coconut yogurt has some advantages over regular dairy yogurt when it comes to freezing:
|Higher fat content allows creamier, scoopable texture
|Lower fat can become icy and hard
|Naturally sweeter flavor similar to ice cream
|Tart, tangy flavor different from ice cream
|No whey separation after thawing
|Can develop watery whey after thawing
|Probiotics remain active after freezing
|Fewer surviving probiotics after freezing
|Works well with coconut and tropical fruit additions
|Better suited to berry or vanilla flavors
While regular yogurt can also be frozen, the lower fat content means it develops larger ice crystals and a harder texture. Coconut yogurt’s naturally creamy profile makes it the best choice for homemade frozen yogurt.
Coconut Yogurt Ice Cream Flavor Ideas
Plain frozen coconut yogurt is delicious on its own, but you can also mix in different flavors. Here are some tasty flavor combinations to try:
- Chocolate – Cocoa powder, chocolate protein powder, chocolate chips
- Vanilla – Vanilla extract, vanilla bean seeds, vanilla protein powder
- Strawberry – Fresh or frozen strawberries, strawberry puree
- Peach – Peach slices, peach puree, peach preserves
- Banana – Mashed banana, banana extract, chopped bananas
- Coconut – Toasted coconut flakes, coconut butter, coconut extract
- Coffee – Brewed espresso, coffee liqueur, coffee extract
- Mint chocolate chip – Mini chocolate chips, mint extract
- Cookies and cream – Crushed Oreos or chocolate sandwich cookies
- Lemon – Lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon extract
The mix-in possibilities are endless! Add your favorite fruits, nuts, chocolate, candy pieces, or other flavorings to customize your frozen coconut yogurt treats.
Making Dairy-Free Ice Cream with Coconut Yogurt
For the ultimate creamy non-dairy ice cream, blend frozen coconut yogurt in a high speed blender or food processor to create soft serve consistency. Here is a simple dairy-free ice cream recipe using coconut yogurt:
- 2 cups plain coconut yogurt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup mix-ins like chocolate chips, fruit, etc. (optional)
- Whisk together coconut yogurt, sweetener, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Pour into a shallow freezer-safe container and freeze overnight.
- Once completely frozen, transfer yogurt to a high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
- Add any mix-ins and pulse briefly to incorporate.
- Serve immediately as soft serve, or freeze for another hour to firm up.
- Store leftover ice cream in a sealed container for up to 2 months.
This 2-ingredient coconut yogurt ice cream is super simple and endlessly adaptable to your favorite flavors. You can also experiment with adding banana, avocado, nut butters, or plant-based milk for extra creaminess.
Benefits of Frozen Coconut Yogurt
Freezing coconut yogurt into DIY ice cream comes with some nice perks. Here are the main benefits:
- Healthier than ice cream – More fiber, protein, and nutrients than traditional ice cream, plus gut-healthy probiotics.
- Naturally dairy-free – No lactose, suitable for vegan and dairy-free diets.
- Lower in sugar – Contains only naturally occurring sugars from coconut milk and fruit.
- Richer taste – Excellent substitute for high-fat ice cream with a richer, more satiating flavor.
- Thicker, creamier texture – The high fat content allows a thick, scoopable consistency without iciness.
- Endlessly customizable – Flavor it simply or get creative with mix-ins.
Frozen coconut yogurt makes a nutritious, customizable treat. With healthier fats than ice cream and gut-friendly probiotics, it can be enjoyed guilt-free.
Potential Drawbacks of Coconut Yogurt Ice Cream
While delicious, there are a couple potential downsides to keep in mind with frozen coconut yogurt:
- It melts faster than regular ice cream since it has less air whipped in.
- The tangy yogurt flavor may seem unusual at first if you’re used to regular ice cream.
- Coconut yogurt is expensive compared to regular yogurt.
- It lacks the nostalgic flavor of childhood ice cream for some.
- The high fat content means it’s very calorie dense.
To help mitigate some of these drawbacks, enjoy frozen coconut yogurt in moderation as an occasional treat. Opt for small portions like yogurt pops or froyo cups rather than a giant bowl. Choose plain yogurt and limit any high-sugar mix-ins.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does coconut yogurt get hard when frozen?
No, coconut yogurt retains a soft, scoopable texture when frozen due to its high healthy fat content. The fats prevent it from turning rock solid or icy like regular yogurt can.
Can you freeze coconut milk yogurt?
Yes, coconut milk yogurt freezes very well into a creamy ice cream texture. Be sure to use full fat coconut milk yogurt with no added fillers or gums for best results.
Is frozen yogurt healthier than ice cream?
Frozen yogurt can be slightly healthier due to active cultures, fewer calories, and less fat. However coconut or Greek yogurt is healthier than conventional flavored frozen yogurt which has added sugars.
What is the best yogurt to freeze?
Full-fat plain Greek yogurt and coconut yogurt freeze the best into a creamy, scoopable ice cream consistency. Regular low-fat yogurt can become icy when frozen.
Can you freeze yogurt twice?
It’s best not to refreeze yogurt more than once, as the texture can become grainy or icy. Refreezing also further reduces the live cultures in yogurt.
Freezing coconut yogurt into customizable probiotic ice cream is easy and delicious! Thanks to its naturally rich, creamy profile, coconut yogurt makes the ultimate healthy, dairy-free substitute for ice cream when frozen. Just stick it in the freezer, then scoop, blend, or swirl the yogurt into endless flavor possibilities. Frozen coconut yogurt delivers all the cold, creamy satisfaction of ice cream in a version that’s lower in sugar, high in healthy fats, and brimming with gut-loving probiotics.