Turning off your PS5 without having to turn it on first can be useful if you want to fully power it down to save energy or troubleshoot an issue. There are a couple of different methods you can use to turn off your PS5 while it’s already off or in Rest Mode.
Using the Power Button
The simplest way to turn off your PS5 without turning it on is to press the power button. Here’s how:
- Locate the power button on the front right corner of your PS5. It has the universal power button symbol on it (a line inside a circle).
- Press and hold the power button for at least 7-8 seconds. You’ll hear a single beep. Keep holding the button down until you hear a second beep.
- After the second beep, release the power button. This will fully power down your PS5 if it’s in Rest Mode.
This method works whether your PS5 is powered off or in Rest Mode. The initial press of the power button when the system is already off triggers the console to go into Rest Mode. Holding it down for a full 7-8 seconds is what then powers it down completely.
Using the Power Options in the Control Center
You can also turn off your PS5 without turning it on first using the Power options in the Control Center:
- Press and hold the PS button on your DualSense controller for at least one second.
- This will bring up the Control Center on your PS5 screen.
- Select Power > Turn Off PS5.
This method allows you to power down your console fully without having to get up and press the physical power button on the machine. It works whether your PS5 is off or in Rest Mode already.
Using Rest Mode Settings
You can configure your PS5 to automatically power down fully after being in Rest Mode for a certain amount of time:
- Go to Settings > System > Power Saving.
- Select Set Time Until PS5 Enters Rest Mode.
- Choose a duration like 3 Hours or 6 Hours.
With this setting enabled, your PS5 will completely power down after sitting in Rest Mode for the selected duration without being used. For example, if you set it to 3 hours, your PS5 will turn off fully if you left it in Rest Mode untouched for 3 hours.
If pressing the power button or using the Control Center isn’t turning off your PS5 fully, try these troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure your PS5 is updated to the latest system software.
- Check your PS5 power saving settings under Power Saving and make sure Rest Mode is enabled.
- Unplug the power cord from the back of your PS5 for 30 seconds then plug it back in.
- Press and hold the power button for at least 10-15 seconds just to be safe.
You may also see a flashing blue light on your PS5 after attempting to power down. This means it’s completing the shutdown process so give it a few minutes.
Powering off your PS5 without turning it on first is easy – just press and hold the power button for 7-8 seconds or use the Power options in the Control Center. You can also set Rest Mode to automatically power down fully after a set duration. If you’re having trouble getting your PS5 to power off, double check your power settings and try the troubleshooting steps.
|Use Power Button
|Press and hold for 7-8 seconds until second beep
|Use Control Center
|Go to Power > Turn Off PS5
|Set Rest Mode Timer
|Set auto shut down after 3-6 hours of no use
- Hold the power button for 7-8 seconds to turn off from Rest Mode or off state
- Use the Control Center Power options to power down without the power button
- Adjust Rest Mode settings for auto shut down after a set number of hours
- Try troubleshooting steps if PS5 won’t power down fully
Knowing the different methods to power off your PS5 without turning it on first can help you save energy, resolve issues, and keep your console running smoothly. The power button, Control Center, and Rest Mode settings give you options to suit different situations.
Following the instructions in this article, you can easily shut down your PlayStation 5 without needing to boot it up first. Just remember to press and hold the power button, use the Control Center menu, or adjust your Rest Mode settings. With these simple steps, you can make sure your PS5 is powered down properly when not in use.
Turning off the PS5 fully can have advantages over just putting it into Rest Mode. It clears out cached data, helps eliminate minor software glitches, and may improve overall performance. Fully powering down the console saves the most energy compared to Rest Mode as well.
So if you want to ensure your PS5 is completely shut off, power button hold, Control Center, and Rest Mode options are the way to go. Get in the habit of fully shutting down your console every now and then for optimal function.
As with any electronics, properly turning off your PlayStation 5 when not in use can help avoid problems and keep things running smoothly. Make sure to fully power down your PS5 regularly for best performance.
Remember that putting your PS5 into Rest Mode is different than fully powering off. Rest Mode keeps key functions running in low power state so you can startup again faster. To completely shut down, you need to use the methods outlined in this article.
Don’t forget to save your game progress before fully shutting down as you’ll lose any unsaved information once powered off. And make sure to exit any applications or games before turning off your console.
Following the steps to power down without turning on first will keep your PS5 performing at its best for gaming, entertainment, and more. Just be mindful that fully shutting off takes a little longer to start up again compared to Rest Mode.
Properly turning off or restarting your PS5 console occasionally can help prevent issues from occurring over long uptimes. It clears temporary data and ensures a fresh startup.
Fully powering down is also the only way to do a hard reset on your PS5 if needed for troubleshooting. Just make sure your data and game progress is saved before completely shutting off.
Getting into the habit of fully shutting down your PS5 every so often is recommended for optimal performance and preventing problems. The methods in this article make it easy – no need to boot up the console first!