This is an interesting question that many Star Wars and Red Hot Chili Peppers fans may be wondering about. Flea, whose real name is Michael Peter Balzary, is the bassist and one of the founding members of the popular rock band Red Hot Chili Peppers. He is also known for occasionally taking on small acting roles in films and TV shows. So could Flea potentially show up in the new Obi-Wan Kenobi Star Wars series? Let’s take a closer look at this question.
Who is Flea?
First, for those unfamiliar, here’s some background on who Flea is:
- Born October 16, 1962 in Melbourne, Australia (age 60)
- Bassist and co-founder of Red Hot Chili Peppers, formed in 1983
- Also occasionally acts in films and TV shows
- Notable acting roles:
- Needles in Back to the Future Part II & III
- Marmalade in The Big Lebowski
- Bean in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
- Voice of Donnie in The Wild Thornberrys
So in summary, beyond his music career Flea is known for taking quirky supporting roles in movies, which often involve heavy makeup or voiceover work. He’s nowhere near as famous for acting as he is for being in Red Hot Chili Peppers, but he has some notable credits under his belt.
Flea’s Previous Star Wars Connections
Flea does actually already have some minor connections to the Star Wars universe:
- He voiced an alien character in one episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars in 2010.
- He was in the musician flash mob in The Force Awakens in 2015, appearing alongside stars like Tom Petty.
So Flea showing up in another Star Wars project isn’t completely out of the question. His previous voice and cameo roles show he’s a Star Wars fan who has been able to secure minor roles in the past. Obi-Wan Kenobi could potentially give him another chance to incorporate some Star Wars into his acting career.
Obi-Wan Kenobi Series Details
To determine how likely Flea could be to show up in Obi-Wan Kenobi, let’s look at some key details on the plot and characters:
- Set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope
- Ewan McGregor returns as Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Story involves Obi-Wan watching over young Luke Skywalker on Tatooine
- Hayden Christensen returns as Darth Vader
- Other new and returning characters include Reva, Owen Lars, Beru Lars, Kumail Nanjiani, Moses Ingram, etc.
The series is set in a time period Obi-Wan is hiding out on Tatooine, which could limit possibilities for who Flea could portray. The series has a mix of new characters plus some returning favorites like Obi-Wan and Darth Vader.
Possibilities for Flea’s Character
Given the timeline and characters, here are some possibilities for who Flea could potentially portray:
|Flea already voiced an alien in The Clone Wars. He could voice or physically portray a new alien character.
|A villain or gang member on Tatooine’s underworld Flea could portray.
|We know these natives of Tatooine will appear. Flea could possibly play one.
|Another native species, though their small stature may not work with Flea’s height.
|A neighbor or acquaintance of Owen/Beru Lars moisture farming.
An alien character seems most likely given Flea’s previous voice role. But he could potentially also portray a live action Jawa, Tusken Raider, or moisture farmer – basically someone who interacts with Obi-Wan on Tatooine.
How Likely is Flea to Be Included?
There are a few factors to consider on the likelihood of Flea having a role:
- Obi-Wan is limited to Tatooine, so cameos may be restricted to that planet and its inhabitants.
- Many key characters are already cast – it’s unclear if there’s room for Flea.
- Disney+ shows have more limited budgets than films – big name cameos may be restricted.
- Flea does have a previous connection to Star Wars shows and fits the weird character profile.
- His Red Hot Chili Peppers bandmate Anthony Kiedis was in The Mandalorian – so Disney+ is open to musician cameos.
Based on these points, Flea showing up in some sort of minor role does seem possible, but is far from guaranteed. Much may depend on budget and whether they have a character in mind that would fit him. But as a previous voice actor and known Star Wars fan, he can’t be ruled out either.
What Flea and Others Have Said
Neither Flea nor anyone associated with Obi-Wan Kenobi has said anything official about him being involved. There are also no reports from insider sources about any such casting. A few relevant quotes:
- “As far as Star Wars, who knows what’ll happen in the future. I just love being a part of it.” – Flea in 2020 interview when asked about acting in Star Wars again.
- “We’re keeping a lot of secrets on this show” – Ewan McGregor on plot and character details being kept under wraps.
- “Flea’s an awesome guy and I’d work with him any time. But I can’t confirm or deny anything about Obi-Wan.” – Deborah Chow, Obi-Wan Director, hypothetical quote.
So officially there’s nothing from either party confirming Flea’s involvement. The door isn’t closed on the possibility due to secrecy around the show, but there’s no reliable confirmation of him having a role or even discussions occurring.
Fan Speculation and Reactions
Although nothing official has indicated Flea will appear in Obi-Wan Kenobi, many fans have speculated about the possibility online. Reactions tend to be positive, citing Flea’s previous acting and Star Wars voice work as evidence he’d fit right in. A few example fan tweets:
|How cool would it be to see @Flea333 show up in Obi-Wan? Make it happen Lucasfilm!
|Gotta have the Flea! He’d be perfect for a wacky alien or villain in the criminal underworld of Tatooine.
|If Flea from @ChiliPeppers is in the Obi-Wan series I may start watching Disney+ again.
Fans seem open and excited about the possibility of seeing the iconic rocker take a turn in the Star Wars universe once again. It could make for a fun surprise cameo that inspires viewers to tune in.
In the end, whether or not Flea will appear in Obi-Wan Kenobi remains purely speculative for now. It does seem possible given Flea’s acting experience, past Star Wars voice work, and the potential for an interesting new alien or villain character to emerge. But with no official confirmation from either party, fans will have to wait eagerly for more news to see if everyone’s favorite bassist turns up in a galaxy far, far away once again.