London broil is a beef dish made from flank steak or top round roast that is marinated, grilled or broiled, then sliced across the grain. It is a budget-friendly cut of beef that is flavorful and versatile enough for a variety of dishes. Here’s an overview of what London broil is best used for.
One of the most popular uses for London broil is grilling. The marinade helps tenderize the typically tough cuts of meat, and the high heat of the grill gives it a nice char. Grilled London broil makes delicious steak sandwiches, fajitas, or can be served as an entree with vegetables and potatoes.
When grilling London broil:
- Use a flank steak or top round roast 2-3 lbs in size.
- Marinate for at least 2-4 hours, up to overnight.
- Grill over high heat for 4-7 minutes per side.
- Let rest 5-10 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain.
Broiling London broil in the oven is another fast, simple preparation method. The high heat from the broiler gives it a nice crust, while keeping the inside juicy and tender. Broiled London broil can be served as a main dish or used for sandwiches or tacos.
When broiling London broil:
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Place marinated steak on a broiler pan.
- Broil 4-7 minutes per side, until desired doneness.
- Let rest before slicing across the grain.
London broil can also be prepared by roasting in the oven. While this takes longer, the slow cooking tenderizes the meat. Roasted London broil is ideal for serving hot off the pan, or using cold in slices for sandwiches, wraps, and salads.
When roasting London broil:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place marinated meat in a roasting pan.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes per pound until done.
- Let rest 10 minutes, then slice across the grain.
Sliced for Sandwiches
One of the top uses for London broil is sandwiches. When sliced thinly against the grain, it provides tasty slices of beef. It can be served warm right off the grill or oven, but also makes great cold sandwiches.
Some delicious London broil sandwich ideas include:
- Steak sandwiches with cheese, onions, peppers
- Philly cheesesteak style sandwiches
- Fajita steak wraps with peppers and onions
- Roast beef sandwiches with cheddar, tomatoes, lettuce, and mayo
- Steak club sandwiches with bacon, turkey, cheese
Stews and Soups
When finely diced, London broil can be an budget-friendly way to add hearty beef flavor to stews, chilis, and soups. It becomes tender during the long cooking times.
Some examples include:
- Beef stew
- Beef chili
- Minestrone soup
- Beef barley soup
- Cabbage roll soup
Thinly sliced London broil is perfect for quick stir fry dishes. Cook the slices on high heat until browned but still tender.
Some tasty stir fry recipes include:
- Beef and broccoli
- Beef and green bean stir fry
- Mongolian beef
- Beef with peppers and onions
- Orange beef
Fajitas and Tacos
Spicy seasoned London broil makes fantastic fajitas and tacos. Cook strips on the grill or in a skillet until lightly charred, then serve with warm tortillas and fresh toppings.
Fill fajitas or tacos with items like:
- Sour cream
Cut London broil into 1-2 inch chunks and thread onto skewers with vegetables for kabobs. The marinade adds lots of flavor, while the vegetables fill out the meal.
Some tasty kabob ideas include:
- Beef and bell pepper
- Beef and onion
- Beef, tomato, and mushroom
- Beef, pineapple, and red onion
- Beef and zucchini
Chilled, sliced London broil can be served atop fresh salad greens for a satisfying main dish salad. The meat pairs well with crisp vegetables and tangy vinaigrettes.
Some salad recipe ideas:
- Steak salad with romaine, tomatoes, avocado, and blue cheese
- Steak Caesar salad
- Steak salad with spinach, strawberries, walnuts, and poppyseed dressing
- Steak Cobb salad
- Steak and arugula salad with goat cheese and figs
Ground London broil makes flavorful, budget-friendly meatballs. Mix the ground beef with herbs, breadcrumbs, egg, and any other desired ingredients then shape into balls and cook until browned and cooked through.
Serve meatballs with:
- Pasta and marinara sauce
- Over rice
- In soups and stews
- On sandwiches
- With creamy gravy
London broil is one of the most versatile cuts of beef. The rich flavor works well in everything from weeknight dinners to backyard cookouts. While often affordable, it’s robust enough for holidays and special occasions too. With proper preparation and slicing against the grain, London broil can be tender and tasty in endless dishes.